Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Seal Leak?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Seal Leak?

Hey guys going on my yearly fishing trip to Maine, all told about 1,100 miles. I just had to replace my steering pump and when we were under the truck, saw this...I think this is just the seal leaking.

I looked at the rave and from what i can tell you just remove the wheel, rotor and the the 4 bolts to get to the seal? Is that right or do you need to pull the axle out? I am new to this, never done anything like it before so go easy on me. Also, are there any special tools needed to put it back? It mentions some kind of a tool that sets the seal, not sure if that is just a normal tool or something LR specific.

Attached a pic of the leak. Please let me know so i can get to work on it, she is my DD so hopefully its not a huge mess

Attached Thumbnails Axle Seal Leak?-axle.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by RegT
Hey guys going on my yearly fishing trip to Maine, all told about 1,100 miles. I just had to replace my steering pump and when we were under the truck, saw this...I think this is just the seal leaking.

I looked at the rave and from what i can tell you just remove the wheel, rotor and the the 4 bolts to get to the seal? Is that right or do you need to pull the axle out? I am new to this, never done anything like it before so go easy on me. Also, are there any special tools needed to put it back? It mentions some kind of a tool that sets the seal, not sure if that is just a normal tool or something LR specific.

Attached a pic of the leak. Please let me know so i can get to work on it, she is my DD so hopefully its not a huge mess
Don't panic it doesn't look too bad in fact. You could probably drive for 6 months/10K miles with little visible change as it's only a slight weep. First check the oil level in your diff and top up if necessary and then do the seal when your not under pressure. It's not life or death and it's not, by the look of it, affecting the rotor and brake pads. If your doing one side you may as well do the opposite side once you've got the hang of it.