Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 01:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Back on the road

First off have to say thank you tool all that have helped me with this. Engine swap and opps things have been all completed. I had not the best circumstances on doing the engine swap, originaaly was going to pay someone to do it for me but people I had lined up backed out on the project GRRR. So I did myself not what I had plan on doing as it was going to be a big project and the only place I could get to do it was an hour drive away. Hard to find someone willing to give up there garage for someone to swap an engine plus i was very slow doing this. so this is what has been done.
I picked up an 04 engine no SAI with 80k on it.
tore it down had everything clean inspected etc. also pinned the liners while I had it out.
ARP head studs new oil pump new timing chain and so on.

swapped the engine myself (i mean all by myself) I know spring chicken here. Took me 4 days between travel back and forth heating the place up everyday.
That whole process went great only major problem I had just after the swap the power steering pump that came with the engine was bad and leaked all the PS fluid out once started up.
And this thing did start and purred and for me that was a huge accomplishment.

OK now the big wtf transmission would engage aka would not move under power. After doing several things and talking here we figured I broke the front pump in the transmission. I have to agree with what everyone was saying about how easy it is to break it.
So I secured a transmission out of an 04 locally, they also had the tcase for it too. They just wanted it gone as not a lot or any calls for it so I got them both for 250.00.
Removed the old and put in the junkyard one, and guess what no work. this one I installed the TC and confirmed the pump was some what working (spin as fast as I could and oil came out of the cooler line)
engine swap was way easier than the transmission and tcase swap for me.
So now I have two transmissions and still will not move period under power.
So during all of this i took pics and some video of everything I was doing as I could. Had someone look at the video and the pics. This person noticed on the back of the engine I put in the flex plate looked odd to him when looking at the two engines.
Now doing all of this remotely is a pain in the ***. Ok so what he noticed was my flex plate on the one I put in seemed to be way to close to the flywheel as compared to the other one. So as I tore down the other engine and kept the internals I went out to the shed and did a facetime with this person. So there is an adapter on the old one that didn't look like was on the new one. It was a spacer that was like maybe 10 cm thick. I am no mechanic by far so when I put back the parts back together I wouldn't have even guessed that.
So here we go again pulled the transmission etc again and looked at the flex plate and yup no spacer. so I put in the spacer from the old engine in and went throw the whole thing again. topped everything off and started it up and I had me a working transmission YAY.
I am back up and running and brought it home I figured I could swap the PS pump in the drive way etc.
ok dumb *** me during the pump swap broke the return line nipple on the radiator. YUP I did that but i had a fairly new one in the shed from our first disco. so went to swapping that out. Oh yeah for got to say I had an oil leak on the front of the engine. From what I had found out from reading that it could be the o ring on the cam sensor. We did test the pcv for efficiency i did do the mod too. Ok so I had a new front crak seal for the front cover and everything was like still apart pulled the HB to swap that and check the sensor while I was there. replaced the seal as I had one, looked at the sensor and umm the one in the engine no o ring. put on on and everything back together filled coolant and started it up tada no oil leak. finally this thing is doing what it should. Been driving it around for the past few days with no major issues. I put the rest of the center console back in and got that tidied up. but I am up and running with just two things to deal with. Muffler needs to be replaced (nice exhaust leak ) and I have a P0413 code.
later this spring I will replace muffler and all the o2 sensors.
P0413 will be there untill I get around to replacing the ecm bcm and cluster(all from the original donor car) I had SAI and now I do not so lots of things left out of engine bay lol.
I will order in new key fobs to have them cut and programed also when the computers are swapped out.

A week time Maine Winter romp here and I have finally have something worth taking and driving in after so many years.

Thank every one for the advise etc.
Also thank you Scotty from RnR and getting me some wiper arms for next weekend :-)

Keith

The following 5 users liked this post by merebel:
JohnZo (02-09-2022), Richard Gallant (02-09-2022), rikkd (02-10-2022), T-rex (02-10-2022), whowa004 (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 01:08 PM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

Thanks Keith for the thorough write up. I’m glad it’s all working out.