Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back On The Road Again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Back On The Road Again!!!

WOW,

After sitting an embarrasingly long time, My 1997 Discovery I is back together (mostly) and finally running again. Been off the road for two years mostly.

I just got thru installing the new fuel pump (Pro Line from Rover's North for $104), replaced all the rotted fuel lines from the tank to the engine fuel injection connections ($25 for a 25 foot rool of 5/16 steel tubing), did an oil change and flushed the engine, drained and refilled the tranny fluid, snatched out the original headliner and the fiberglass backing. Replaced the diff lock switch to get the diff lock functional again. Replaced front rotors and pads, replaced the rear rotors pads and calipers last year.

Now I got to get an appointment for state inspection and it will be legal to drive again.

Got a little rust to take care of, removed all the carpets, removed most of the interior panels as well to get to bare panels. Re-did the majority of the wire bundles due to the dilapidated condition of the original wrapping tape. Re-routed the bundles so none are on the floorboard any longer.

Have the typical holes at the rear door opening and a few holes rusted thru around the alpine windows. It is amazing the corrosion that pops up in the wierdest places.

Snatched the old hood blanket out and cleaned the engine compartment since it was a horrible mess.

But she's not a nasty rotten old bitch anymore. I keep freshing her up, have to take her out DANCING soon.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

pics!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work, and yeah, let's see her, she sounds hot!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

these ladies DO like to dance !!!

Old 04-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Taking it in for inspection Friday Morning. I spent today washing grasy handprints off with a high quality car wash concentrate in a spray bottle using my Steelers Terrible Towel, spraying one panel at a time, wiping all the grasy paw prints and dead paint and stuff off and spraying it down. With all the carpets out and the headliner out, and all the wire bundles rewrapped and routed better, I even sprayed the inside down.

Remounted the sunroof controls, and the visors, no head liners for now. A liitle rust thru at the alpine windows and the rear side door jambs. I will take lots of pics this weekend. Me and the grandkids will do a Happy Dance. They been watching out the second story window, saying "You fixing it Pap Pap?"

I fixed the hell out of it. With the new fuel pump and fluids and Shell 93 Octane, the old gal jumps right up quick.

It really feels good to turn the key and hear it fire right up. Running real steady, perfect temp reading on the gauge.

What a relief. Thanks to everyone for help on various issues.