Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old head unit didn't work at all, so I have experienced a major improvement in sound quality from installing a new one!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 D2 and though the stock system uses a cassette and CD changer my speakers sweep cleanly from 28hz to 20khz. With the exception of one bad door speaker (2.75" full range) I have decent sound.

I actually own an audio video company in Sherwood Oregon so I am able to swap the system, but other than the single bad speaker I really don't see a need too. It could use a bit more low frequency, but that's more my taste then anything else.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for replies. I looked on Crutchfield for speaker options, but does anyone want to share suggestions on speakers that they have been happy with? I'm assuming that there are speakers that may not be listed on Crutchfield as recent models.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The speakers are usually not the problem.

If you've installed a high end head unit and amps then you might look at high end replacement speakers...

Otherwise new speakers on the old system would be a polishing of the fecal matter.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-27-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm now leaning toward replacing the head unit and amp as well (possibly speakers since there are a few rattly ones). I'll need to investigate the condition of the speakers. I'll also need to do some research here on how to go about replacing or adding an amp.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Here is the audio harnesses and parts list for a D2.

Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.-forumrunner_20140327_093405.jpg

Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Drifting

What year is your disco?

I did a full "budget" stereo upgrade in my 2004. I put a 4 channel speaker amp under my passenger seat, and a mono sub amp ($120) under the drivers seat. I replaced the front speakers with a set of Polk audio components (DB6501 $100 shipped). For rear fill I put in some Kenwood 3 way speakers ($30). 12" sub and matching box in the rear ($120). Bass control **** integrated into the center console. What is your budget? I spent around ~$500 on mine, including a Kenwood x597 head unit. I'd suggest the Rockford Fosgate RFK4D dual amp wiring kit.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Three Wheeling

$500 seems very reasonable for all of that. I have an '04 with the non-HK cassette/ cd changer setup. There is an amp under the drivers seat and the changer under the passenger. So it sounds like you circumvented the entire factory amp. Are there any issues with removing it? I ask because I've had cars that get really unhappy when you tamper with their stereo wiring. Incidentally, I'm looking at the Parrot Asteroid or Blaupunkt 420bt deck az was suggested earlier.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Drifting

The install was fairly simple. I removed the factory amp under the drivers seat (it unplugs from a large connector), found which wires go to where (FL, FR, RL, RR) and ran those 8 wires back to underneath the passengers seat. I removed the 6 disc changer from under the passenger seat and wired in my 4 channel amp.

The power wire came from the battery, along the firewall, and down into the vehicle through the firewall. If you remove the kick panel under the steering wheel (where your left foot rests) you will see a bundle of wires leading into the engine bay. This is where I routed the power cable into the cabin. From there I ran it down along the frame under the trim between the carpet and door. From there I ran it directly over to the center of the vehicle where the rear passenger floor vents are under the center console.

I split the 4 gauge power wire using the distribution blocks provided in the kit (suggested in above post). I ran each new 8 gauge power wire to the amp under the drivers side and passenger side seat.

For the 4 gauge ground I sanded the chassis metal down to bare metal underneath where the drivers seat mounts to the vehicle. Same as the power, I ran the 4 gauge ground to a distribution block, then running the 8 gauge ground to each amp.

The 3 pairs of RCA's from the head unit was simple. I fed the wiring down behind the glove box, and under the center console divider. From there 2 pairs went to the passenger side 4 channel amp, and the single mono pair went to the drivers side amp.

From the mono sub amp I ran 12 gauge OFC speaker wire underneath the carpet to the rear of the vehicle. The speaker wire comes out through an opening in the carpet for the rear seat latch.

I can keep going into detail, but I'm not sure what exact info you need. Let me know and I'd be happy to help and/or take pictures of my install.

Attached Thumbnails Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.-20131111_171156.jpg   Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.-20131217_152054.jpg   Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.-20131217_152046.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Awesome info. That seems less daunting than I thought. I've installed these components in some of my prior cars, but none of them has preexisting amps. So did you end up not utilizing your a pillar tweeters? Also, did you pull your seats for access? Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.