Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine sounded horrible when I bought the truck. When I went looking to find out what was wrong I found that the Mid speakers in the upper front doors, the foam surround had dry rotted and disappeared. The same thing happens to the factory subs in the cargo door. Keeping things original is important to me, so I just replaced the mids with Brand New OEM Land Rover speakers. It DRASTICLY improved my sound quality. As for the subs...I stopped by a car audio shop one day and had them replace them with some very low powered 6 inch subs and the guy removed them as soon as he finished installing them. He told me they sounded like crap mostly because the enclosure is a JOKE, but the little factory amp that pushes them is weakest amp he'd ever seen. he told me I'd have to go all out with a box, sub, amp and amp kit if I wanted improvement in bass response. I never have. Turning the bass up and decreasing th treble on the others has been enought to satisfy me.

On a side note. Atlantic sells a little box that hooks up to the factory CD changers harness that will allow you to pipe audio feed in the factory system via a headphone male jack that just plugs into your phone. Or you can take it one step further and also buy a Blutooth Music Reciever to attach to the 1st item i mentioned and you then have blutooth audio connection on the factory rover system. Thats what I have. Not bad at all.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LRD2pdx
Where do you live?

I live just outside of Chicago.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Echoman

I live just outside of Chicago.
Unfortunately I couldn't locate a dealer near you. I'll make a couple calls tomorrow and see if I can locate one for you.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kfx4001442
Mine sounded horrible when I bought the truck. When I went looking to find out what was wrong I found that the Mid speakers in the upper front doors, the foam surround had dry rotted and disappeared. The same thing happens to the factory subs in the cargo door. Keeping things original is important to me, so I just replaced the mids with Brand New OEM Land Rover speakers. It DRASTICLY improved my sound quality. As for the subs...I stopped by a car audio shop one day and had them replace them with some very low powered 6 inch subs and the guy removed them as soon as he finished installing them. He told me they sounded like crap mostly because the enclosure is a JOKE, but the little factory amp that pushes them is weakest amp he'd ever seen. he told me I'd have to go all out with a box, sub, amp and amp kit if I wanted improvement in bass response. I never have. Turning the bass up and decreasing th treble on the others has been enought to satisfy me.

On a side note. Atlantic sells a little box that hooks up to the factory CD changers harness that will allow you to pipe audio feed in the factory system via a headphone male jack that just plugs into your phone. Or you can take it one step further and also buy a Blutooth Music Reciever to attach to the 1st item i mentioned and you then have blutooth audio connection on the factory rover system. Thats what I have. Not bad at all.
Take it from me when I tell you that he was only attempting to sell you something you don't need.

The sub system in our Discovery's is a simple but effective infinite baffle type of enclosure. It uses the inside of the rear door as an enclosure. About the only thing the door is missing is additional sound proofing which is why the door rattles so bad when you really start getting on the volume.

As for the smallest amp he's ever seen running the subs, I've seen some very small amps pushing a relatively low amount of power to run them. We used to install competition systems which would utilize only one 300 watt amp to run an entire system using passive crossovers and coils. These systems had tremendous output and bass which hit hard and low. It isn't always about how much power you use, but more about how efficient your speakers are and how it's designed and installed.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Three Wheeling

Unfortunately I couldn't locate a dealer near you. I'll make a couple calls tomorrow and see if I can locate one for you.
Thanks for looking into it. The closest one that I saw was in Pieoria, which is pretty far from me.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Take it from me when I tell you that he was only attempting to sell you something you don't need.

The sub system in our Discovery's is a simple but effective infinite baffle type of enclosure. It uses the inside of the rear door as an enclosure. About the only thing the door is missing is additional sound proofing which is why the door rattles so bad when you really start getting on the volume.

As for the smallest amp he's ever seen running the subs, I've seen some very small amps pushing a relatively low amount of power to run them. We used to install competition systems which would utilize only one 300 watt amp to run an entire system using passive crossovers and coils. These systems had tremendous output and bass which hit hard and low. It isn't always about how much power you use, but more about how efficient your speakers are and how it's designed and installed.
As for LRD2 having seen small amps push a lot of power. Im sure you have. I have. Just not the little dinky factory amp in our trucks.

The advice on JVC headunits is spot on! JVC is the BEST in my opinion...and i've had about everybrand out there. I always go with JVC if they offer what I'm looking for nowadays. HIGH QUALITY!

Please know that I'm am not "selling" anything to anyone... I am a "Redneck" do-it-yourselfer from Alabama with absolutely ZERO affiliation with any venders, unlike a lot of members on here. However I did visit a PROFESSIONAL car audio shop about the very problem he is asking about and I am simply passing on the knowledge I obtained from the experience. I do know know a lot about audio quality, as I have over $3000 in my Wakeboard Boats music system and it's VERY awesome...

To the original poster, I see you are a Junior Member & I will caution you to be aware of # of posts an advising member has when weighing out options presented in front of you here. Something I do all the time.

Last edited by kfx4001442; 04-04-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Drifting

As for LRD2 having seen small amps push a lot of power. Im sure you have. I have. Just not the little dinky factory amp in our trucks.

The advice on JVC headunits is spot on! JVC is the BEST in my opinion...and i've had about everybrand out there. I always go with JVC if they offer what I'm looking for nowadays. HIGH QUALITY!

Please know that I'm am not "selling" anything to anyone... I am a "Redneck" do-it-yourselfer from Alabama with absolutely ZERO affiliation with any venders, unlike a lot of members on here. However I did visit a PROFESSIONAL car audio shop about the very problem he is asking about and I am simply passing on the knowledge I obtained from the experience. I do know know a lot about audio quality, as I have over $3000 in my Wakeboard Boats music system and it's VERY awesome...

To the original poster, I see you are a Junior Member & I will caution you to be aware of # of posts an advising member has when weighing out options presented in front of you here. Something I do all the time.
Well said.

The number one reason I recommend JVC to people is that they are very high quality. They include features which are usually only found in higher priced units and in ten years of selling / installing their products I've only had one failure.

To further clear the air, I too am not here to try to sell someone anything, only to gather information and help out when I can. I'm not attempting to root my own horn here, but my knowledge is extensive not just in 12v electronics but home theater, security and surveillance as well. I've been in the business since the late '80s.

As for the dinky little amps in our Rovers, I must admit that I never actually "looked" at the factory amp so I never noticed until now that my amp is NOT the factory unit. Evidently the prior owner was an audiophile because the amp which is in my Rover is an old school A/D/S PH15 and the factory subs have been replaced by old school Orion XTR 6.5" drivers. Upon pulling the door panels to replace the factory 2.75" full range drivers I noticed that the factory front and rear stage are now comprised of more Orion XTR drivers as well. I am quite surprised that I didn't even notice the sub replacements when I pulled the enclosure to sound proof the rear door. I'm guessing he pulled out whichever deck he had in it and replaced the oem unit.

Last edited by LRD2pdx; 04-04-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Well you've been in the business about as long as I've been alive, so Im confident you know what your talking about. Ive been eyeing an Infinity Basslink to remedy my sub issue in my disco. Partly because of the very small amount of space it takes up, and also because I only want just enough to sound good to ME. Not ANYBODY outside the truck. I've gotten older and just can't stand to see the idiots slow rolling through the Walmart parking lot busting out peoples windows with bass. What do you think about this option?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've noticed a lot of the Discoveries that have the HK system, the foam surrounds in the mid-ranges speakers will rot away quickly. You can look through the grill with a flashlight and check this. The later ones with the Phillips Highline speakers seem to last a lot longer.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Well you've been in the business about as long as I've been alive, so Im confident you know what your talking about. Ive been eyeing an Infinity Basslink to remedy my sub issue in my disco. Partly because of the very small amount of space it takes up, and also because I only want just enough to sound good to ME. Not ANYBODY outside the truck. I've gotten older and just can't stand to see the idiots slow rolling through the Walmart parking lot busting out peoples windows with bass. What do you think about this option?
The Infinity Basslink is a pretty solid contender, another one to check out is: http://www.mtx.com/xtl110p-mtx-car-subwoofer-enclosure

If I were going to use a powered sub I'd use either an Infinity or MTX, nothing else.

I've sold, used and installed MTX since the late '80s. I've always enjoyed their products. Even now, after they screwed all of us dealers over by going customer direct, I still stand behind their products.

I hate to say it, but if it's too loud you're too old. I'm a basshead, always have been always will be... But I don't roll thru Walmart, lol. I have always had systems in my cars which could make "your" windows flex when I was behind you in traffic. I love low frequency. I'm that guy who goes out in a thunderstorm just to feel the thunder clap. But to each his own.