Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad case of Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Bad case of Amigos

Hello,

My '00 Disco has gotten an out of control Amigos issue.
I have read and studied all 60000 posts on this subject. At this point I'm a bit stuck and in need of advice.
Just to go over things I have checked and fixed so far :
​​​​​all the wheel sensors - all good and resistance within spec​​​​​​ and signal is good with wheels spinning.
Wheel sensor connectors/wires - no issues there - all have closed loop at Slabs
Replaced the solenoid switches with wabco replacement and did the trick with bypassing the internal plug and going straight to YG wire.
Reset the codes in SLABS, but P1590 is persistent and the Amigo lights are on

Appreciate any words of wisdom

Old 12-25-2018, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

What scantool are you using? P1590 is a generic "Rough Road" Fault. Using a scantool that can read LR codes will give you more than just the P1590.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Where in Seattle are you located?

Old 12-25-2018, 12:21 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

if you have a decent scan tool it should be able to interrogate the abs module. that is how i dealt with my p1590 -- i discovered that one of the wheel sensors was throwing a fault even though it check out according to all the other tests i tried. replacing that hub took care of all problems.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm using one of those Bluetooth ones - OBD link Mx - kind of a junk but all I can afford now ( in proportion to the value of the car)

I'm in Columbia City, but if course if there is someone in Seattle area that could help I will take whatever long drive it takes

Old 12-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by miron
I'm using one of those Bluetooth ones - OBD link Mx - kind of a junk but all I can afford now ( in proportion to the value of the car)

I'm in Columbia City, but if course if there is someone in Seattle area that could help I will take whatever long drive it takes
i have the iCarsoft scanner and willing to check it out if you want to meet off I90 around Issaquah

Old 12-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Good on you Friday Night Disco

Old 12-25-2018, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco

i have the iCarsoft scanner and willing to check it out if you want to meet off I90 around Issaquah
Awesome! Just let me know when is a good time for you.
Thank you!

Old 12-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Your Amigos problems

Originally Posted by miron
Hello,

My '00 Disco has gotten an out of control Amigos issue.
I have read and studied all 60000 posts on this subject. At this point I'm a bit stuck and in need of advice.
Just to go over things I have checked and fixed so far :
​​​​​all the wheel sensors - all good and resistance within spec​​​​​​ and signal is good with wheels spinning.
Wheel sensor connectors/wires - no issues there - all have closed loop at Slabs
Replaced the solenoid switches with wabco replacement and did the trick with bypassing the internal plug and going straight to YG wire.
Reset the codes in SLABS, but P1590 is persistent and the Amigo lights are on
Appreciate any words of wisdom
1. Over the past 50+ years I have done a lot of work with electronic circuity boards, etc., so I am NOT a fan of the shuttle valve circuit board bypass that so many guys seem to like. I would suggest leaving the circuit board as it was originally, and if it is shot, replace it with a good used one; don't bypass it.
2. Here was my problem, which is often the problem with many having amigos issues: The shuttle valve seals wear out ( I believe about every 60,000 to 80,000 miles, depending on how ABS is used), so the brake fluid flows past the shuttle valve seals, down onto the shuttle valve switches, causing them to short out, to various places around the switches, causing amigos lights to come on/off, etc.), so first of all install new shuttle valve seals, to stop the brake fluid from flowing onto the switches. Only one source exists for getting new shuttle valve seals, Falconworks of Arizona (they have a website, so pay attention to what they say about these shuttle valve seals, etc.---they know their Land Rovers well; offering excellent reliable information). Next, you must clean the brake fluid off of the shuttle valve switches, by spraying the hell out of them, using a good electronic spray cleaner, and soaking up the resulting brake fluid run off, using paper towels. You need to work at this, until the shuttle valve switches are DRY and CLEAN overall. In my experience, shuttle valve switches last a very long time, well over 100,000 miles to 150,000 miles, maybe more, But, if they get wet with brake fluid, flowing down on them, from the worn out shuttle valve seals, they need cleaning until dry and clean, or will need to be replaced with new set of switches. This was all that was needed on my ABS, amigos issues, over 50,000 miles ago.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Clear the Slabs codes with help from Friday Night Disco (many thanks) and amigos are gone (for now). I have to get a proper scan tool!

I changed the shuttle valave assembly because the old one had wire isolation peeling and the clips holding the switches were cracked, so it was time for replacement anyway. There was no brake fluid anywhere so it wouldn't seem like that was an issue.

Quick Reply: Bad case of Amigos