Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad engine knock, am I done for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dynomite
www.rovahfarm.com
www.roverparts.com
www.roversnorth.com
www.miamibritish.com
www.partsbin.com

i'm missing a few i'm sure. that's off the top of my head. i got the rod bearings from miamibritish.com, i've discovered rovahfarm.com recently. they seem to have good parts for good prices too. hope this helps.
Yes thank you that helps because i was about to pay more than 50 bucks for bearings.

Best of luck on your rebuild

Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the guys look into this tick noise this morning, it sounds more from the front of engine area. My first guess is the oil pump. I have read about something coming apart in the pump and causing this noise. My question is when this happens, don't you lose oil pressure? The front timing cover is not cheap ($500 +), but if it needs it then I have no choice.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by discoboy
I had the guys look into this tick noise this morning, it sounds more from the front of engine area. My first guess is the oil pump. I have read about something coming apart in the pump and causing this noise. My question is when this happens, don't you lose oil pressure? The front timing cover is not cheap ($500 +), but if it needs it then I have no choice.
I don't understand why you would need to change the front timing cover. A bad timing cover will cause an oil leak but I can't see how it will cause you engine to tick. Even if the timing cover is leaking it can most likely be fix by replacing the gasket. The ticking is probably coming from the oil pump, timing chain (doubt it), belt tensioner, or bad bearing somewhere in the engine.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by buick215
I don't understand why you would need to change the front timing cover. A bad timing cover will cause an oil leak but I can't see how it will cause you engine to tick. Even if the timing cover is leaking it can most likely be fix by replacing the gasket. The ticking is probably coming from the oil pump, timing chain (doubt it), belt tensioner, or bad bearing somewhere in the engine.
The oil pump is built into the timing cover. There is no leakage and pressure is good right now. I only asked because I read somewhere where something may have broken inside the oil pump causing this noise. We think it may be from rockers? The noise is barely noticeable at 1500-2000 rpm, so probably not bad rod bearings. Very frustrating right now. Just got decide to remove valve covers for inspection, or remove the oil pan for inspection.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by discoboy
The oil pump is built into the timing cover. There is no leakage and pressure is good right now. I only asked because I read somewhere where something may have broken inside the oil pump causing this noise. We think it may be from rockers? The noise is barely noticeable at 1500-2000 rpm, so probably not bad rod bearings. Very frustrating right now. Just got decide to remove valve covers for inspection, or remove the oil pan for inspection.
Yes, you are right the oil pump is part of the front engine cover but it is probably the least likely reason for the ticking. I am assuming that it is hard to know wether the ticking is coming from the bottom or top of the engine. I would start at the top. There are more things that will cause the ticking at the top.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Mudding

That is our first thought as well. Will remove valve covers to inspect when we get a chance. Thanks.