Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad new greaseable U joints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad new greaseable U joints?

Hi again .... Work shop just called and said that drive shaft was not damaged . problem came from a damaged centering ball that needs to be replaced ....(Vibrating of this piece caused the spring to breake.???)

Should I Buy a centering ball Kit or should I replace the entire thing with rotoflex Like Chieff ll Says.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Mudding

Javoli001: Sounds like you might be a bit confused, just as I was before I went through the process of changing things out. It was your front drive shaft that failed, right? This is the one notorious for failing, and can be replaced with a heavy-duty, fully greasable drive shaft from places like Tom Wood's--that's where I got mine, $350 shipped to you door. The Rotoflex is at the back of the rear drive shaft. It's a rubber coupler that will crack with age, and can he changed out pretty easily with a $70 replacement.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you trust the shop, no reason not to go with a new centering kit.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Three Wheeling

[align=left]Yeup. Front drive shaft .... Landzu recomended land rover parts they quoted me $730 With Shipping to Mexico.
But when I asked him if the u joints had grease fittings he said :

"These are aftermarket driveshafts that we get from a supplier from England. There are 2 grease fittings; one on the standard UJ
side and another on the part the slides in and out but not on the double uj side

Do You think these looks OK...

I saw another Drive Shaft ( Used ) from a 2003 disco( same as mine ) at $ 320 With shipping to mexico this is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-2-FRONT-DRIVE-SHAFT-W-U-JOINTS_W0QQitemZ160227593834QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em160227593834&_trksid=p3756.m20.l1116

[/align]

Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Mudding

I would really recommend you take a look at Tom Wood's if you're buying a completely new shaft:

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Fully greasable, built toughfor off road, andhe regularly makes shafts for Discos.And Icannot speak highly enough of their customer service. You'll find a number of board members here have installed his shafts. Rebuilding and Tom Wood's seem to be the two most popular options for taking care of this problem--that's how I found out about him.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank You antichrist... well I have gone to these shop for years an it has been ( other than this ) OK.
I know the are paying real close attention on everything refering these problem because even do a law suit is complicated it is still present.

So they say that drive shaft is OK So should I only Buy a centering Ball Kit?
Were can I buy One. Land rover parts , rover connection dont sell them separately.

Thanks

Javier

Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank You andrewmcuffin I called Tom Woods and asked me the lenght or dimension of the drive shaft , he also said that it would be arround 300 and he seems real pro. But do you have the lenght of the drive shaft .. A told him it was for a Disco 03 but any way needed the lenght???

Old 04-14-2008, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

We can sell you a NEW replacement driveshaft, that has regreaseable fittings. and should last as long as the truck. you can send me an email or call 404 636-3636. they sell for $450.00 plus shipping

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank You rover Mac.

I just bought 1 from coloradodriveshaft.com 380.00 plus shipping They sold it to me through e bay and expect it to arrive in 3 o 4 days.
It also has grease fittings and seems OK I HOPE. I couldnt find the cenering ball anywere so I bought the entire thing. I found a rotoflex in Mexico ( new ) and dont know if these will be enough. I just want to forget about the entire drive shaft, U Joint , CV Joint etc. problem.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Three Wheeling

hi again ... I installed the new drive shaft today and turns out that it has some play were the DS bolts in with the transfer case.
I still have a vibration when accelerating and the mechanic who is very motivated by now says its the transfer case and that it can be repaired.
he is quoting 800 us ...Im thinking I could get one ( Used ) for less than that but when I brought it up he said he would charge me 350 for installing it.

This is starting to be a nightmare. I dont want to blame any one or guess what happened I just want to fix the problem and be done with the whole thing.
Im so angry by now Im not thinking straight .. please give me some pointers.

Quick Reply: Bad new greaseable U joints?