Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Pump! Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Location: Charles Town, WV, originally from Central Valley, California
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Pump! Bad!

Looks like I just lost the water pump on my '03 Disco. The temp gauge hit the top before I caught it and shut down. Besides the water pump what else should I look to replace while I'm in there? How badly did the temp spike hurt? It has 128k on the engine which otherwise seems in good condition. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It makes sense to change the thermostat - I hear these like the 180 degree t-stats. Also, check for bad hoses or leaks otherwise which may have played a factor in it over heating. Might as well change the coolant while you're at it. Invest in a temp gauge of some sort. Fix the pump, fill with fresh coolant/H2O 50/50 mix, then hope and pray the head gaskets are still intact. Once you get it running again you can perform a 'block check' using a tester available for loan from your local parts store - or you can buy one for about $40. This will tell you if exhaust gases are present in your coolant system - indicating head gasket failure.

Just noticed you're originally from the central valley. I used to live in Lemoore...

Good Luck!

Last edited by june82000; 08-12-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoTanB
Looks like I just lost the water pump on my '03 Disco. The temp gauge hit the top before I caught it and shut down. Besides the water pump what else should I look to replace while I'm in there? How badly did the temp spike hurt? It has 128k on the engine which otherwise seems in good condition. Thanks in advance.
I had the same thing happen to my 2004, AND I had been periodically checking my water pump too, because I had no idea when it had been changed previously, if at all, since new. Pump seemed tight, no wear, etc., but it literally exploded when it went, due to bearing going out on it, after I examined it. When it did that, the pump impeller jammed against the aluminum housing of the pump, so that prevented the pump pulley from being able to turn, so the serpentine belt cut its way through the plastic guard, jammed up the fan, so the plastic blades of the fan broke to pieces. I had to replace the fan, of course, the pump, of course, did all work myself, of course, no engine or head gaskets experienced problems, because I shut engine off right away, knowing what overheating can do on these engines. Overheating to any degree on these engines, often causes head gaskets to go, sometimes the aluminum heads to crack, and often for the engine block aluminum, between one or more of the cylinder liners and the block water jacket, to also crack, so to make a long story short, DO NOT ALLOW THESE ENGINES TO OVERHEAT FOR ANY REASON, OR YOU WILL BE IN SERIOUS DANGER OF THE ABOVE. Good luck

Old 08-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm not sure about the factory water pumps on these, but don't buy a new one with a plastic impeller - get the metal impeller instead.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Location: Charles Town, WV, originally from Central Valley, California
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gents, especially the plastic vs metal impellers. I'm hoping the heads/gaskets/block are ok but will do the check as suggested. June82000 were you stationed at NAS Lemoore by any chance? Talk about the middle of almost nowhere. I lived east of Fresno which is about the same.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I have never seen a plastic impeller, but I have seen steel versus brass.

Who makes the plastic? Sounds better to me?

Old 08-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
I'm not sure if they are common in the land rover community but they're famous for killing BMW engines as they came from the factory with plastic impellers.I remember seeing a post on here not too long ago that mentioned plastic impellers which is why I brought it up. Just something to be aware of…

Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DiscoTanB
June82000 were you stationed at NAS Lemoore by any chance? Talk about the middle of almost nowhere. I lived east of Fresno which is about the same.
Yes, you guessed it. We used to go to Fresno to the big city LOL!I bought a 1966 Mustang fastback in Fresno back in 2001 and I still have it!

Old 08-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I have never seen a plastic impeller, but I have seen steel versus brass.

X1 ................ a plastic or stainless impeller sounds great to me and it's not as if it's pushing rocks around only a water a/f mixture. I always use stainless impellers. Brass was good in the old days but with new more aggressive coolants it's unlikely to stay the distance.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
X1 ................ a plastic or stainless impeller sounds great to me and it's not as if it's pushing rocks around only a water a/f mixture. I always use stainless impellers. Brass was good in the old days but with new more aggressive coolants it's unlikely to stay the distance.
Just Google plastic water pump impeller failure and you'll see what I'm talking about

Quick Reply: Bad Pump! Bad!