Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad tick in my '04

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Oil changes will not do anything but put a bandaid on a valve train noise. Been driving it for 3 years, you are running the old cash flow meter the longer you put of dealing with this issue.
So poss its valve train??

Cash flow meter.......If I start chasing this tick it could be poss top end job? a couple grand$$$....(Plus down Time)

Then if Im that far would it be wise to say...Already torn apart total rebuild or new create motor.....(I have 2004 97k miles purchase new and planned on keeping till the wheels fell off)

Do you understand my thoughts and cash flow....(Im handy with a wrench but have no time for this kinda task)

CAN YOU TELL IM LOST AND CONFUSED WITH THIS ONE.........

Last edited by creepin; 01-10-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Add details
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The oil pump issue is simple - if it is cracked, it can't make full pressure. It can make enough to turn out the light, at 7 PSI. It won't make the 50 PSI at 2000 rpm warm that it should. So valve train and other parts of the engine suffer. Oil pump is a lot simpler than head gaskets. You can borrow a pressure gauge from a parts store and do the test yourself for about 30 minutes to an hour of your time. Then you will know - one way or the other.

If you have been running a good diesel rated oil, like Rotella, it will keep the insides pretty clean and "sticking" won't be an issue. Need XW40 oil, 30 weight is too thin.

If you think it is a valve train tick, take a broom handle and hold it to each valve cover and put the other end to your ear. Works on a truck just like in the doctor's office. You can buy a mechanic's stethoscope if you like. For no money, you'll know left or right side. Or eliminate it, because you will hear just smooth machinery under the valve cover. The stick trick helps you hear above the noise of the rest of the engine. Maybe even from the front cover - watch that belt.

Compression test of cylinders will tell you if the oil starvation has taken a toll on the piston rings, or if engine is still in pretty good shape.

So for an afternoon of basic tests, you'll have a much better idea of what's going on.

But ticks can also be related the SAI system, you can unplug the pump or purge valve for testing. There is also a tick that can originate from the flex plate (mates flywheel to tranny).

Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 with the same issue and it just started about 1000 miles ago. It is at idle 725-750 rpm if I slightly press gas and keep rpm under 1000 it goes away too? I have been trying to figure it out as well. Also handy with wrench. This is starting to sound like a common issue? Mine also comes and goes I'm thinking oilpump as well need to get the pressure check. What is this cursed vin range I keep hearing?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DUBLJDISCO2
I have an 04 with the same issue and it just started about 1000 miles ago. It is at idle 725-750 rpm if I slightly press gas and keep rpm under 1000 it goes away too? I have been trying to figure it out as well. Also handy with wrench. This is starting to sound like a common issue? Mine also comes and goes I'm thinking oilpump as well need to get the pressure check. What is this cursed vin range I keep hearing?
Sorry my friend but you got typical symptoms of the bad oil pump with the cracked outer ring. Get it pressure tested. As for the VIN range......I know somebody has it here. Try google. I forgot where I looked it up last. It doesn't necessarily have to be the oil pump but with 90% of the people this was the issue. Pretty common issue on the forum here. And don't worry, it's not that hard to change.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If your oil pump looks like this, it can tick, and make enough PSI to turn off the light (7PSI), but not the 50 PSI that is spec for warm and 2000 rpm - test oil pressure with manual gauge.
I did the oil pressure test today and it was around 28-30psi @ idle, (about 500rpm), 50psi @ 1000rpm and 60psi @2000rpm. I guess this is good news, except I might have to learn to live the noise. Let me know what ya think. Thanks

Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

OK - oil pump is out of the picture most likely, good pressures.

What about noise from valve covers (listen with stick or mechanic's stethoscope)? Or other spots on engine?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Certainly seems to be coming from rear drivers side at the top. Can you remove the valve cover with out taking off the throttle body, i don't think you can?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Would believe you are correct. Gasket for the top intake is metal and re-usable, not sure about the ones from the throttle body to intake.

But before that exercise, there are a lot of SAI components in that area, and they sometimes are found to cause the ticking noises.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 PM
4wd High
Default 2004 Disco with same tapping noise

Been having the same issue as TOAD2. The ticking noise is only at idle and it is coming from below the drivers area. Sometimes it goes away for days before I hear it again.

I went to my rover mechanic and he said that the 2004's got the leftover 2002 model Range Rover engines and that they could be inherently problematic and that "cam walking" could be causing this noise. He said that it probably wont cause any problems in the short term, but he indicated that if i wanted to keep the car for the long term that I put in a rebuilt engine at some point.

Mind you, this is a 2004 with only 65,000 miles......

Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Would believe you are correct. Gasket for the top intake is metal and re-usable, not sure about the ones from the throttle body to intake.

But before that exercise, there are a lot of SAI components in that area, and they sometimes are found to cause the ticking noises.
Thanks for the help Savannah, I will keep drivin' and keep lookin'.

Quick Reply: Bad tick in my '04