Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad tick in my '04

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

The intermittent tick I had that went away when I replaced the SAI pump sounded like it was coming from below the drivers area... But I could only hear it while driving so I was unable to confirm its exact location.

The SAI parts are located on the Passenger side, not the drivers side. At the time of the tick I knew my SAI pump was going because the bearings were screaming every time the SAI pump came on (cold start) however I was short on money at the time and waited till it threw a code before replacing the pump.

One other clue that I forgot to mention before when reporting this was that I could hear the sound of exhaust coming from the SAI pump if i put my head near it and revved the engine with the throttle cable.

My mechanic told me at the time that a failed valve in the SAI system would allow backflow of the exhaust through the pipes going to the valve covers. I suspect my intermittent tick was a backfire through the SAI.

That tick happened from zero to two or three times a day over a few months while the SAI was failing. That tick has not happened once since the replacement, last August

Last edited by Dave03S; 01-11-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading the forum about ticking, found this thread. I have intermittent tick at idle and only when the engine is warm, when cold I have exhaust leak, which I did locate to manifold to pipe gasket, but the SAI making exhuast sound is interesting. Since it hasn't been 8 hours sinse I last drove the car, will wait till tomorrow and listen very carefully to the SAI pump and see if I can hear anything. I did open the SAI pump to replace the filter but the filter was looking pretty good.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by toad2
I removed the belt but it's still ticking. Has anyone ever had a tappet tick?
I'm going to remove one plug wire at a time and see if it stops. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks
Hi
If itis like mine it is a loose sleeve and makes the engine get hot when it moves up and down touching the head it just sounds like tappets.
It is a work in progress still for me, but it does not look like being able to repair, I have tried the a 2 part product no good, next is to try the old bars leaks??
Regards David

Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Rock Crawling

My tick went away. It really did. I don't like to talk about though, you know, the jinx thing.

1 day I said to my wife " this thing isn't ticking" and she replied "it stopped a few days ago".
Hope it stays gone lol.