Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed

I am looking for options to mount my roof top tent.

I have been doing extensive research including going through 5+ search pages. Looks like the Baja Rack is the winner for me. I saw pics of the Baja Rack mounted on the Disco on this page:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/mo...reviews-26349/

However, there were no pics of roof top tents installed on the rack. I have a Disco with a 2" lift.

1) Does anyone of pics of their Disco with the Baja Rack mounted with a roof top tent?

2) I am trying to decide between the two Baja Rack options: the Standard rack (with the side rails around the roof perimeter) or the Expedition Rack (with the side rails only on the front section and no rails at the end of the rack for mounting of the roof top tent). I prefer the Standard rack as it has more uses for carrying stuff when I am do not have the roof top tent mounted. Please see two pics for comparison.

3) Any comments on the stability of the vehicle when off-roading, especially with the high c.g. with the Standard rack? Much of my off-roading involve switchbacks and gradients here in the Pacific NW.

What are your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-standard.jpg   Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-expedition.jpg  

Last edited by acg; 01-21-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
I am looking for options to mount my roof top tent.

I have been doing extensive research including going through 5+ search pages. Looks like the Baja Rack is the winner for me. I saw pics of the Baja Rack mounted on the Disco on this page:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/mo...reviews-26349/

However, there were no pics of roof top tents installed on the rack. I have a Disco with a 2" lift.

1) Does anyone of pics of their Disco with the Baja Rack mounted with a roof top tent?

2) I am trying to decide between the two Baja Rack options: the Standard rack (with the side rails around the roof perimeter) or the Expedition Rack (with the side rails only on the front section and no rails at the end of the rack for mounting of the roof top tent). I prefer the Standard rack as it has more uses for carrying stuff when I am do not have the roof top tent mounted. Please see two pics for comparison.

3) Any comments on the stability of the vehicle when off-roading, especially with the high c.g. with the Standard rack? Much of my off-roading involve switchbacks and gradients here in the Pacific NW.

What are your thoughts?
I'm not dodging your questions, but I thought you may may be interested in knowing...

A very generous member on here just recently released a "how-to" build your own roof rack that will hold a roof tent just fine. The rack is legit, only costs a couple hundred bucks to build, and looks awesome atop a DII. Can you weld?

Clicky Clicky

Last edited by coors; 01-21-2015 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
acg (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I do not have a roof-top tent. But I do have the Baja Rack with the side rails. Like all racks, there is a significant increase in the wind noise at highway speeds. The Baja Rack is well made and should last a long time. I have thought of measuring to see if one of the hard shell Autohome rtt would fit inside the side rails, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

acg (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:26 AM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by coors
I'm not dodging your questions, but I thought you may may be interested in knowing...

A very generous member on here just recently released a "how-to" build your own roof rack that will hold a roof tent just fine. The rack is legit, only costs a couple hundred bucks to build, and looks awesome atop a DII. Can you weld?

Clicky Clicky
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am aware of Jean's great project. Unfortunately, my hands are full working on off-road trailer project where I am building a top lid, modifying to full length wheel fender to hold fuel tanks and water tanks, add fridge and kitchen slides, replacing the Jeep wheel with Disco wheels and finding the correct wheel adapters, changing to 360 coupler, etc. The trailer is designed with coiled springs and shock absorbers without an axle housing underneath for added ground clearance. This project is consuming much of my time. Here is a pic of the project.

Plus a wife and three young sons... plus other personal volunteer commitments... plus a busy job that requires travel.

I am looking for a roof rack to purchase and get ready for some off-road events that are coming up quickly.

Attached Thumbnails Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-00101_81nfpmizrxj_600x450.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Where in the pac NW are you? I'm in Seattle and will be doing the same thing except with a safety devices rack.
My plan is to mount the tent to bars running across the top rails. It'll give me a little more width for a wider hard shell tent and I'll store stuff between the tent shell and rack floor.

I'm not as concerned about the weight in the roof as I am about getting fouled up in areas with low lying branches etc

On another note, if you're local and handy with a cutter and welder, I have a damaged safety devices rack in my garage that someone drove into a parking garage with. My plan was to cut off the top rail where it raises up to follow the trucks roofline and create a box at front and a flat area for a roof top tent at the back. Give me a shout if you'd prefer to explore that route

acg (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

We are using Baja Racks on our trucks here @ Lucky 8. Our Project LR3 has the basket style and works great. I have the expedition style on my LR3, but I do not have a RTT. I chose this style so I can use it when hauling many goods from Home Depot. I will be putting a basket style on my project D2 this year.

With that said, I hardly notice a difference in noise with the rack on the LR3. It is extremely quiet.

acg (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 AM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Where in the pac NW are you? I'm in Seattle and will be doing the same thing except with a safety devices rack.
My plan is to mount the tent to bars running across the top rails. It'll give me a little more width for a wider hard shell tent and I'll store stuff between the tent shell and rack floor.

I'm not as concerned about the weight in the roof as I am about getting fouled up in areas with low lying branches etc

On another note, if you're local and handy with a cutter and welder, I have a damaged safety devices rack in my garage that someone drove into a parking garage with. My plan was to cut off the top rail where it raises up to follow the trucks roofline and create a box at front and a flat area for a roof top tent at the back. Give me a shout if you'd prefer to explore that route
Robert,

I lived in Seattle and Bellevue from 1988 to 2002. Then Portland from 2002 to 2014. Moved to Chilliwack, 75 clicks from Vancouver, BC for a new job assignment last year. How about them Hawks??!!!

I do not quite understand your second paragraph... are you looking to sell the damaged rack? I may be interested depending on the extent of the damage.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
We are using Baja Racks on our trucks here @ Lucky 8. Our Project LR3 has the basket style and works great. I have the expedition style on my LR3, but I do not have a RTT. I chose this style so I can use it when hauling many goods from Home Depot. I will be putting a basket style on my project D2 this year.

With that said, I hardly notice a difference in noise with the rack on the LR3. It is extremely quiet.
I'm glad you're not getting an increase in wind noise with the LR3 and the rack. I am very happy with the Baja Rack. I have, however, thought about adding some kind of plexi faring around the sunroofs to mitigate the noise.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado David
I'm glad you're not getting an increase in wind noise with the LR3 and the rack. I am very happy with the Baja Rack. I have, however, thought about adding some kind of plexi faring around the sunroofs to mitigate the noise.
D2 or D3?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling

D2. I have to have more than 5 characters in my reply. So says the forum software. So there. More than 5 characters.

Quick Reply: Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed