Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bars stop leak???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bars stop leak???

Hello all,
I just verified i have a external head gasket leak which is leaking coolant out of the right rear head.Im topping off a 1/4 cup of coolant about every three weeks.I cant have it repaired until around feb so my ? is should i just keep topping off or try bars as a temp band aid.
Thanks

Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would try barrs tablets or kseal it vry well could fix you up

Old 12-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Mudding

But i am cheap and lazy.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you put in any stop leak, it can stop that leak with 1/4 teaspoon of material. The rest of the bottle clogs up your radiator lower rows and heater core. Better to keep an eye on the small leak and top up weekly or even daily until you can make repairs. Save the stop leak for the "still leaks" after HG replaced problems, or "limp home" needs.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If you put in any stop leak, it can stop that leak with 1/4 teaspoon of material. The rest of the bottle clogs up your radiator lower rows and heater core. Better to keep an eye on the small leak and top up weekly or even daily until you can make repairs. Save the stop leak for the "still leaks" after HG replaced problems, or "limp home" needs.
Will do, thanks

Old 12-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz

Now, do you have a personal experience with this, or are you repeating a rumor?

Because i have used k-seal as a temp fix and it worked as advertised. I have checked my radiator with a inferred thermonitor and it shows no signs of any clogs and my my guage runs a steady 192 degrees. I am not saying it is a peremant fix, but I would love to hear your personal story that makes you say this.

Last edited by xxdoylexx; 12-15-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Its the death of many rovers I find at the junk yards. X2 with buzz

Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

We talked about this at some length in the other thread the OP started, but many people have had good results with KSeal and the Barrs tablets.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either. The Barrs Tablets are recommended as preventative maintenance against weeping head gasket leaks by GM, and KSeal has the best reputation I have seen of any of the liquid stop leak products. As minor as his leak is, I'm sure either will keep his truck on the road for quite some time.

What the original poster needs to do is google these products to see how many people have had problems with them.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
We talked about this at some length in the other thread the OP started, but many people have had good results with KSeal and the Barrs tablets.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either. The Barrs Tablets are recommended as preventative maintenance against weeping head gasket leaks by GM, and KSeal has the best reputation I have seen of any of the liquid stop leak products. As minor as his leak is, I'm sure either will keep his truck on the road for quite some time.

What the original poster needs to do is google these products to see how many people have had problems with them.
CADILLAC used to have dealerships use the tablets in all their engines to combat porosity issues . This is going back to the early 90s.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Fair enough, but my point is if the tablets were likely to clog radiators CADILLAC wouldn't have recommended them.

So while they may or may not work, they should be safe.

Quick Reply: Bars stop leak???