Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain issue - radio not turning off

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Battery Drain issue - speakers not turning off

We had a battery drain issue last week out of the blue. Battery is only 2 months old and alternator checks out good. Today sitting in the Disco in a parking lot with the engine off and key removed I noticed a very low static noise coming from the rear drivers side door. Sure enough it was the speakers on both rear doors making this noise.

Any clues on where to start troubleshooting this? Has anyone had a problem similar to this? Perhaps a bad ground someplace?

Last edited by zski128; 02-23-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the radio sc check to see if any wires on the pigtail are shorted out

Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was a bad ground they would never be on

Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thinking I might be getting closer to the issue. Looking at the Rave electrical diagrams it seems the amp is power from Relay 7 from the engine compartment fuse box. This goes to fuse 17 in the passenger compartment fuse box. My guess is that the relay is bad. Of course now I cant get the radio to stay on after shutting down the engine and removing the key as before. Will have to try again later. On a side note, in the rave it says that the radio/amp are grounded and has a little diagram showing all the grounding spots, does anyone know exactly where these grounds are? I looked around the amp and couldn't find it.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

amp under the drivers seat and in the back door with the sub woffer I believe

Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You are so lucky to have a D2. In the circuits diagrams they place small numbers at connectors. In the Electrical Library they have a connector index with color pix of locations usually and pin outs. See attached for one example. It also has ground points layouts.

Fo us with the D1s, color had not been invented and we have to make do with just black and white.

And Murphy's Law 1.56T5.345 sub section 6 states "your vehicle was wired by the only color blind technician on staff the day of assembly".

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 radio ground.pdf (124.0 KB, 147 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Buzz, that pic appears to be under the drivers side steering wheel, I'll take a peak when I get home. What manual are those pictures in? I must have overlooked that. Extremely helpful!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The wiring road maps are in the crcuits manuals, but the connector pictures and ground and fuse layouts are in the electrical library. In my copy of the RAVE those are both in directory " L J " and are files cdlt033n.pdf and ellt033e.pdf. If you don't want to download the whole RAVE package, in my signature is an online link where you can open and download just single sections from the RAVE, which stands for Rovers A'int Very Economical.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Your '04 D2 has one amp. It's under the driver's seat. The subs in the rear door are powered by that same amp, not by a seperate amp as in earlier years. You can test for amp relay socket to see if 12 volts is present to activate it when the vehicle is off.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So the speakers where on again tonight after shutting off the Disco. I tried tapping relay 7 under the hood but nothing. I then pulled fuse 17 in the passenger compartment fuse box, that got it. I popped the fuse back in and now only the two front door lower speakers are working. Another change after pulling/replacing the fuse, no more pop when turning on the radio and no more buzz out of the subs in the cargo door.

I can not seem to find the ground C0361 in the dash. I removed both the glove box and behind the panel under the steering. This ground is not listed on the little ground map in the electrical library in RAVE. Anyone have any idea where it is? From the picture it looks like it is in the dash somewhere. I did find a ground inside the dash above the glove box, it looked good.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain issue - radio not turning off