Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery draining on 2000 Land Rover Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery draining on 2000 Land Rover Discovery II

Issue - my 2000 LR DII's battery drains. It is not the starter, the alternator or 'anything else' that anyone can think of or find. Mechanics can't hook it up to any type of system that monitors pulls, as the car does not have the technology (chip) to allow for this... I had a Sirius radio installed, but had it disconnected for fear that this was the issue, however the problem still remains. It is random - the car can sit for 3 days and starts no problem. Then it can sit overnight and the battery drains.

At the end of my rope... have taken the car to two mechanics and the dealership and noone can find the problem!

Any ideas, similar issues or resources/LR magicians in Los Angeles???!!

Thank you!
Julia

Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

you could PM socalrovershop, he posts here frequently, may can point you to someone, if not handle it at his shop.

If you park inside your own garage, you have the luxury of connecting a small battery charger each night to keep this problem away while you seek a solution. Does this problem happen after you have driven it away from home?

There have been posts about sub amp in rear staying on and doing this, and I would suppose that any after market radio package might have similar possibilities.

This situation has the potential to inflict a great deal of anger, if the battery should fail while car is locked, the alarm system believes it is being tampered with, and will immobilize the vehicle. And please do not "superlock" your truck while this is going on.

I assume you don't wish to go the DIY route at this point, and handling something that acts one way today, and does not repeat for several days will be harder to locate.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

try this disconnect you negetive battery cable and install a test light between the cable end and tha battery post, if it lights there is a draw. Now start pulling fuses one by one until the light goes out, when the light goes out you have found your curcuit that is drawing. From there you have to figure out what is on that curciut, and disconnect each item until the light goes out, what ever shuts the light off is your problem. Now you need to use a little common sence as well, thing like your clock and radio have power all the time so just pull those fuses right off. Some people prefer to pull all the fuses and put them back in one by one, it's your choise. good luck

Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

This will work if (a) drain is large enough to make bulb glow, and (2) drain is constant. IMHO if you can go three days, it is OK, then 1 day and it is not, may be additional "ghost" issue, like a cable from frame to rear door grounding out when door flexed, etc.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

After driving remove the key and listen close to under the hood, do you hear a buzzing/humming noise?
There is a TSB on the SLABS unit not shutting off, it is supposed to run for ~10 min after shutting off the engine but then stop.
The TSB was because the SLABS unit would continue to run and it would drain the battery.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
After driving remove the key and listen close to under the hood, do you hear a buzzing/humming noise?
There is a TSB on the SLABS unit not shutting off, it is supposed to run for ~10 min after shutting off the engine but then stop.
The TSB was because the SLABS unit would continue to run and it would drain the battery.
Note: if you hear a noise that sounds like a very faint electronic stopwatch that is coming from the ABS modulator, this is not the same noise. I, and several other people, have reported this noise with no effect on battery drain.

IMHO, your best bet is the digital meter between negative battery terminal and removed negative cable, unplugging fuses one at a time until amperage draw decreases.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Spike555, the dealer supposedly did the sleep-test and the SLABS unit does go to sleep after about 10 min or so.

And yes, Savannah Buzz, it is VERY frustrating as all mechanics are telling me that this is a 'ghost' issue and NOT anything 'typical' that they can see via the fuse test, etc.. Needle in haystack...

Does anyone have a direct email or contact address/number/shop name for Socalrovershop? I do not have the ability to PM.

Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Mudding

hello juliag i would be more than happy to help you with your frustrating problem i was the master tech at LR MISSION VIEJO AND ANAHEIM HILLS why dont you give me a call at 949-646-1875 and we can set up an appointment

Originally Posted by juliag
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Spike555, the dealer supposedly did the sleep-test and the SLABS unit does go to sleep after about 10 min or so.

And yes, Savannah Buzz, it is VERY frustrating as all mechanics are telling me that this is a 'ghost' issue and NOT anything 'typical' that they can see via the fuse test, etc.. Needle in haystack...

Does anyone have a direct email or contact address/number/shop name for Socalrovershop? I do not have the ability to PM.

Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 03 Disco Hmmm?? Buzzing from ABS Module?

Hmmm I was under the hood playing around about to use my spiffy new 3ton floor jack on my Disco and it was very quiet outside except some DANG Pigeons... anyway... There was a buzzing patter repeated coming from the ABS modulator... car unlocked but off with no keys in ignition and hood is up... I was just snooping around looking for leaks as I think its about time for a new water pump... along with some ball joins... anyway... I heard a buzing sound and I first though it was a slow vacuum leak but could not pin point it so took time and finally found it... it was coming from the ABS Modulator motor and connector.... is this normal?

Last edited by dparham; 01-28-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typical repair of autocorrected spelling lol
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

i think so, I have heard it on mine, before.

Quick Reply: Battery draining on 2000 Land Rover Discovery II