Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Battery Recommendations

Hi guys,

My battery has stood the test of time and is on its way out. I am looking for advice on a good replacement battery. I don't drive my truck all that often, 3-5 times a month as is a project/hobby that sits in the garage most of the time. I live in Canada and therefore the battery gets the harsh cold climate. When I do get a new battery I will get a maintenance charger to keep it plugged in when not in use.

I am considering, the usual suspect, optima red top, yellow top, interstate, etc. but also look at some of the new AGM batteries on the market by various brands.

Thoughts?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I would look at an odyssey or sears platnum diehard .optima is not the battery it once was.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interstate or Costco's are basically all I buy any more.

If you have Costco nearby, you can't beat the warranty they offer (at least here in the States...10yr)

Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
I would look at an odyssey or sears platnum diehard .optima is not the battery it once was.
Unfortunately we don't get the sears automotive battery's up here and the Odessey seams hard to track down. If I am not mistaken they are the same battery?(think i remember reading that somewhere)

Old 02-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by stb616
Interstate or Costco's are basically all I buy any more.

If you have Costco nearby, you can't beat the warranty they offer (at least here in the States...10yr)
Yeah I have heard good things about costco battery's, not sure if the warranty is as good up here but if it is they are cheap to buy. I think Consumer reports reviewed them as being one of the best values for money.

Intersate... I have had good luck with in the past

Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Mudding

I know you guys don't have canadian tire stores down there but they have their own house brand that features the new AGM (absorbed glass matt) (MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra Flat Plate AGM Automotive Battery | Canadian Tire) technology at a reasonable price. anyone have experience using a AGM style battery?

Also based on my usage does anyone have an opinion if i should be looking at possible a deep cycle battery?

Last edited by me6067; 02-15-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:55 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I've always had great results with Interstate or Odyssey. Spendy, but they have worked with no issues.
If you go with an Optima (I don't care what color top) save your receipt...THEY SUCK! And get ready for a fight when you try to put it through warranty.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 827 Likes on 601 Posts

Ya'll,

Costco no longer sells its own Kirkland batteries, at least where I live. When I needed to buy a battery in a few months ago the local Costco was stocking Interstate batteries. Nothing wrong with them, of course, but I ended up going with the Walmart battery. Widely available, no matter where I am, and a warranty as good or better than anything else available, plus the best pricing I found. I don't know whether or not you have Walmart batteries available to you where you are in Canada but for me it is clearly the best choice.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here in Quebec Costco still stock the Kirkland battery. Just replaced one on their excellent warranty after three years, when one cell went **** up.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Ya'll,

Costco no longer sells its own Kirkland batteries, at least where I live. When I needed to buy a battery in a few months ago the local Costco was stocking Interstate batteries. Nothing wrong with them, of course, but I ended up going with the Walmart battery. Widely available, no matter where I am, and a warranty as good or better than anything else available, plus the best pricing I found. I don't know whether or not you have Walmart batteries available to you where you are in Canada but for me it is clearly the best choice.
Ya i bought a walmart battery when i first bought the truck 3 years ago. i've replaced it once (my fault even, i was changing the alternator and banged it up and popped off one of the tops) walmart replaced it no questions asked. i think once it dies though i will get something a little better. i tend to have low voltage/electrical issues with it. maybe it will change with a better battery, maybe it won't, we'll see

Quick Reply: Battery Recommendations