Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Shut-Off Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a digital multimeter (they can be had for $5). Unhook the neg. battery cable and put the meter "in-line" between the battery cable and battery post using the probes. Then see how much current is being drawn on your meter. Then start pulling fuses until the amps drop. I'm not sure about a Disco, but most cars normally have about a 40 mA drain so don't be surprised if it doesn't drop to 0.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Problem is, his is a 99 D1 so that TSB won't pertain.
thanks for the correction Mike, I missed that.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkid
Get a digital multimeter (they can be had for $5). Unhook the neg. battery cable and put the meter "in-line" between the battery cable and battery post using the probes. Then see how much current is being drawn on your meter. Then start pulling fuses until the amps drop. I'm not sure about a Disco, but most cars normally have about a 40 mA drain so don't be surprised if it doesn't drop to 0.
Thank you, I didn't understand before, but that cleared it up, I will try this tomorrow. I will get back to you about what the problem is.

I am doing the whole 60k service thing so I'm sure I will be back and forth on these forums asking questions as I am no expert mechanic, but I can get by. I am more familiar with small engines and things that have a carburetor.

Went to change the fuel filter today, and holy crap, talk about seized....I'm going to have to get new rubber lines, because only one of the ends would come out of the filter, the other one wasn't even close to coming out. Looks like it hasn't been changed in a long time, and the ****ty gas that came out of there was unbelievable. Not to mention the lines themselves don't look that great....Will probably change those too, but I'll save that problem for another post, along with getting the diff lock to work again. haha, lots of work to be had on these disco's. I'm up for the challenge!

Cheers, and thanks for the help guys.

By the way, what setting should I have the multimeter on to check the fuses?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

AB, and probably others, sells a kit to replace the rubber lines at the filter. But considering it's a standard Delco/Wix/Fram filter, you should be able to get what you need at the local NAPA. Cut back the metal line to where it's smooth, couple of compression -> hose barb fittings with a swivel fitting to fit the filter at the other ends and you're good to go.