Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCU / ECM Swap ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 11:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCU / ECM Swap ??

My 2000 Discovery 2 has a key that will start ignition, but it does not unlock the driver door as driver door handle was changed for some reason.

If I press the dash lock door button, it kills the engine. I think someone has monkey’d around with it before I bought it. I have title to it.

Question: If I buy the BCU, ECM off eBay will it plug and play to my ignition and engine or does it still have to be re-programmed?

Also, would I need to buy the BCU, ECM, and “cluster panel” off eBay?

I also have a donor vehicle which I have title to. What exactly is involved in swapping units out? Have to be programmed or “swap and play” ??

Old 04-20-2024, 09:32 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

BCU, ECU and cluster all have to be changed as a set. Provided that you get a set that matches your truck (particularly SAI or non-SAI) it should be a straight swap.
You will need to use a Nanocom or other high-end device to register a remote with the system in order to use it. However, you don't need to use the remote at all if you don't want to. As already stated several times on your other threads, there is nothing special about the key. A flat steel key will work just fine. The driver's lock being different has nothing to do with the system shutting off.

Most of the questions you are asking have been answered before on this forum.

The following users liked this post:
DevGru (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 12:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mollusc
BCU, ECU and cluster all have to be changed as a set. Provided that you get a set that matches your truck (particularly SAI or non-SAI) it should be a straight swap.
You will need to use a Nanocom or other high-end device to register a remote with the system in order to use it. However, you don't need to use the remote at all if you don't want to. As already stated several times on your other threads, there is nothing special about the key. A flat steel key will work just fine. The driver's lock being different has nothing to do with the system shutting off.

Most of the questions you are asking have been answered before on this forum.
Actually, I’ve gotten multiple answers on FB too. One says you need BCU, ECU, and Key (no cluster) so I am a little confused on what is right. I do know the drivers door lock resets the system in event of “limp” mode as that is how you program with the Nanocom from the door handle with key with numbers that Nanocom gives. Just confusing. But I do appreciate your response.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:49 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

I’d pay more attention to the advice I get here than I would from FB.

The following 4 users liked this post by Harvlr:
Alex_M (04-22-2024), DevGru (04-20-2024), Extinct (04-20-2024), mollusc (04-21-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harvlr
I’d pay more attention to the advice I get here than I would from FB.
Thank you.

Old 04-20-2024, 06:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DevGru
Thank you.
Someone from here suggested I go to Land Rover Discovery page on FB from here. So I did that. I do believe you are right and I have searched many threads but they also have different views and opinions on the subject of swaps. I am new here and just politely asking for help. I appreciate you for chiming in that this is the place to ask questions, so it is why I posed my question on here for help last night.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

My 2000 Discovery 2 has a key that will start ignition, but it does not unlock the driver door as driver door handle was changed for some reason. ...
What happens when you insert the key in the door lock and try to turn it? If it doesn't turn at all it may be due to the problem I had with my truck in 2017.

Check out my thread linked below. My "key" post is #13 in the thread, but I recommend you read through the the thread to the end. A couple of other people made useful contributions to it after my post #13.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-wafers-85353/

... If I press the dash lock door button, it kills the engine. ...
Sorry, but this makes no sense.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:37 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Actually, I’ve gotten multiple answers on FB too. One says you need BCU, ECU, and Key (no cluster) so I am a little confused on what is right. I do know the drivers door lock resets the system in event of “limp” mode as that is how you program with the Nanocom from the door handle with key with numbers that Nanocom gives. Just confusing. But I do appreciate your response.
There. Is. No. Chip. In. The. Key.

The driver's door mechanism is just used to enter the Emergency Key Access (EKA) code. There's nothing specific about the key itself. If your door lock linkage is broken you can enter the code with a screwdriver shoved into the inner mechanism. They key is NOT your issue.
I do not believe that limp mode is related to the alarm. That is an emergency mode for the transmission.

What it does sound like is that something about your immobiliser is messed up. The locks killing the engine seem to indicate that your immobiliser is not being fully deactivated. You may want to try getting a replacement key off eBay and renting a Nanocom to program it to your truck. That way you can be certain that you are fully shutting off that system.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mln01
What happens when you insert the key in the door lock and try to turn it? If it doesn't turn at all it may be due to the problem I had with my truck in 2017.

Check out my thread linked below. My "key" post is #13 in the thread, but I recommend you read through the the thread to the end. A couple of other people made useful contributions to it after my post #13.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-wafers-85353/

Sorry, but this makes no sense.
Someone changed the door handle and they ignition key does not fit the key lock on door. Won’t even go in at all.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

This again doesn't make to me. You should be able to insert any DII key into any DII door lock cylinder.

I'm thinking there may be the shank of a key broken off in the door lock. Again, any competent automotive locksmith should be able to remove it with the specialized tools they have. This happened with my truck 15 or so years ago, and it was quick, easy work for the locksmith to remove the broken key.

I suggest you try using toothpick or similarly-sized tool to open the little spring-loaded door at the mouth of the key hole and use a flashlight to look inside. Look to see if you can see any obstruction in the hole or if it's clear. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Last edited by mln01; 04-21-2024 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: BCU / ECM Swap ??