Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCU / ECM Swap ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 07:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by DevGru
Actually, I’ve gotten multiple answers on FB too. One says you need BCU, ECU, and Key (no cluster) so I am a little confused on what is right. I do know the drivers door lock resets the system in event of “limp” mode as that is how you program with the Nanocom from the door handle with key with numbers that Nanocom gives. Just confusing. But I do appreciate your response.
Some of us are on facebook as well, but there are far more inexperienced owners/keyboard warriors there. I would recommend using facebook for photos, used parts, club meetups, and get together organization. This forum is the absolute best technical resource there is for a D2. Although I have a degree in engineering, ten years ago when I got my first D2 I knew very little about the idiosyncrasies of the model and sought information via both search and posting up questions when necessary. This is the place for expert advice.

Now, to your issue. I can definitively state that the ECU and BCU are matched and must be swapped together. The cluster is optional but will flash the odometer if it is not swapped with the BCU. The fourth component is the IDM integrated in the interior fusebox, it can be swapped with the ECU/BCU if you want it to start instantly, or you can re-match the idm/fusebox to the ECU/BCU by turning the key to the on position for 15-20 minutes. I keep several spare ECU/BCU/cluster on hand for testing as well as backup spares. Although failures are rare they do happen.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Some of us are on facebook as well, but there are far more inexperienced owners/keyboard warriors there. ... This forum is the absolute best technical resource there is for a D2. Although I have a degree in engineering, ten years ago when I got my first D2 I knew very little about the idiosyncrasies of the model and sought information via both search and posting up questions when necessary. This is the place for expert advice. ...
I concur absolutely. The Facebook Rover forums are a cesspool.

The responses I see there are very often reflexive replies borne of individual experiences, not supported by evidence (or worse).

Rarely do I see anyone ask diagnostic questions; they simply leap to conclusions. (No, not every instance of the flashing M&S lights means the expensive XYZ switch needs to be replaced. There are 14 faults that can trigger the flashing M&S lights. The XYZ is the cause only rarely, and its failure more often manifests itself differently. Read my sig line.)

A couple other Rover forums used to be good too, but they have faded for whatever reasons (may they RIP). They just don't get the traffic they once did. This forum is the clear survivor.

Last edited by mln01; 04-21-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
This again doesn't make to me. You should be able to insert any DII key into any DII door lock cylinder.

I'm thinking there may be the shank of a key broken off in the door lock. Again, any competent automotive locksmith should be able to remove it with the specialized tools they have. This happened with my truck 15 or so years ago, and it was quick, easy work for the locksmith to remove the broken key.

I suggest you try using toothpick or similarly-sized tool to open the little spring-loaded door at the mouth of the key hole and use a flashlight to look inside. Look to see if you can see any obstruction in the hole or if it's clear. Let us know what you find. Good luck.
The door handle is back gloss vs standard matte Disco 2 99-04. The key works in ignition but you can even get the key into driver door lock… not even a 1/16” of the key. I believe the door handle came off maybe another type of Rover. They look similar, but if it is a Disco II door handle then the lock itself is not.

But I’m going another route now with the advice of a Rover mechanic and I’m transferring my trans / gearbox / shaft from this one (2000) to my parts vehicle (2001) which it’s key works the door locks, ignition, and has better interior. It was just missing the sunroofs which he has both for me and the gearbox was bad on it. The engine is fine in the 2001. I initially bought it as a parts because all the leather seats and dash in pristine condition.

I appreciate your help though!