Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCU Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question BCU Swap

Last month I cannibalized a 2003 Disco 2. I bought the truck for the black interior. By the time I was finished the cabin was stripped bare and the engine compartment had all viable parts taken. There was no engine or transmission. I gave the rest away to a local shop that makes trailers.

Ive already done a few searches here and on the net. My Disco is a 2000 with 4.0. The 2003 has the better SLABS so I decided to swap it out. The dash hasn't been installed yet so I have a ton of room. The BCU from my 2000 has the part number 73004311. The 2003 BCU is 73004311/A. So the "A" should mean its an upgraded unit. I wanted to ask if I could swap them out and then go into with a tool to reprogram the BCU to my trucks settings. Can the mileage also be programed or is it stuck that way? It still should speak to all computers and other devices the same way? Nothing is wrong with my BCU but if this is an updated version there must be a reason why rover did it.

Info ive come across stated that you could just reprogram the BCU with a Nanocom or similar tool. Others say you have to swap out the ECM at the same time or it won't function properly. Others say you must do that are swap out the gauges. Or send the BCU into a place that can reprogram it for your vehicle so the truck won't know any different.

So what are the correct steps involved so I do this right? If I don't need to swap it out for better parts, like with the SLABS, I am still interested in finding out the proper steps involved that way I can swap it when the time comes. Everyone knows how that works... can be next year or it can be the next time I go on a trip in a few days.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

"IF" the mileage on the newer BCU is more than your current mileage when you SYNC it using a Nanocom for example it's going to keep the higher mileage. Not sure what a T4, or Autologic system would do, but I know that's how it works with the Nanocom unit. "IF" the mileage is lower on the newer unit, when you SYNC it will just transfer your current higher mileage stored in the Cluster to the BCU. Honestly I see no reason to swap the BCU if it's working perfectly. I've got a 99, 02, and 04 D2 and with the Nanocom unit I can change the same exact settings so yes it might be a newer part, but they didn't add any special programming to it vs older units.

The SLABS on the other hand yes 03-04 Units have better firmware for less chance of the 3 amigo's being triggered, and better control over ABS/TC/HDC function.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (07-16-2019)