Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Disco Year (2000-2003)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Disco Year (2000-2003)

I currently have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee limited with about 103,000 miles and looking to get a newer SUV. I don't drive that much (10,000 miles in the past year and a half or so) and it's just normal city driving. I'm starting college this fall at a very small school in Virginia, so I won't be driving that much there (it's about a 150 mile drive, but after that it should just be normal city driving and the occasional trip home.) Gas mileage isn't a huge concern for me as I get about 16mpg average in my Jeep, so I don't think a few mile difference will break the bank. (At least I hope not)

All of the years seem to be in the 10-11,000 range so I just want to look for the best year as far as overall reliability. I know that it depends on previous owners but in general which year has the least widespread (or, at least, cheapest to fix) problems? I don't really plan to do much off roading, if any. But being in the rural area it's a possibility. Also it's very hilly around the school and on the trip to/from. I'm also not sure how well they do with cleaning up after a snow storm and such so that's another reason for wanting the LR. An even bigger concern is the size, I'm 6'5 so I have a hard time fitting in many vehicles - I'm even brushing the roof in the Jeep, so I'm hoping the Land Rover will offer me more room as well as more cargo space.

I'm open to other SUVs but prefer the styling of the Land Rover over all of the others.

This , for example, is one I was looking at.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best Disco Year (2000-2003)

It's really more important to get a warranty and just inspecct the rover very carefully. The year imo isn't really something that should be too big a consideration. Oh and don't call em SUVs. Welcome to the board!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked out the rover you were looking at. Your gonna wanna check carfax or get some records on whether it has been serviced at 60,000 etc. If not your gonna have to do a lot of things to it. Again, get an extended warranty, and have a couple thousand left over for repars and maintenance. Trust me, you'll need it.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I too went from a Cherokee to an LR> I am 6'5" and have no complaints here. Check the truck to see if the 60K service is done. Basically everything 98roverguy said. You can go to a dealership and have them pull the records for the truck, but it may not have been serviced at a dealer. Watch for oil leaks, coolant leaks, and front driveshaft condition. If it doesn't have grease fittings, replace with joints that do. If it pops, it will take the tranny with it. These things are prone to head gasket failures, so you will have to watch it more closely than the Jeep.

Totally different experience from the Jeep. You either love it or hate it. There are a few on here that hate their trucks, but most are here are a tight knit band of brothers (and a few sisters) that try to help each other out. I have noticed that most of us around town tend to wave at each other. The Rangie dorks usually have their noses too high in the air...

Good luck on your purchase.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned three Jeep Cherokee's,and loved every one of em'.Those trucks are easy to maintain and cheap to repair.I'd buy another one in a second.The Land Rover Discovery can be a little expensive to maintain and is not cheap to repair.........I'd buy another one in a second! Besides, College Women can't resist a man who drives a Series II Discovery! Just don't start calling it a "Disco",or we will put white knee socks on you and send you over to the Range Rover Forum!