Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best money spent to date on the Rover! Plus, fixed the engine tick!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
im in the same boat. i use my Droid x for all of those. but i use Slacker instead of Pandora. I also use the GPS mount for video when out on the trails. im to cheap to use anything except the cassette adapter!
UGH. You guys just went down a peg in my book using a cassette adapter
Yeah totally though, to each their own. I am an audiophile though, and can't even take listening to regular FM radio. Also, I can't stand seeing exposed wires for anything... so the cassette adapter wire being puked out of the radio face would just sicken me even if the sound quality didn't (total OCD type thing lol).
The benefits I like are really for safety, security, ease of use (besides the obvious of great sound quality and features).
  • Safety: Never have to look at my iPod or BB to change tracks, etc
  • Safety: BT calls mute speakers, show on radio and even voice dialing. Never have to look down at phone
  • Security: iPod stays in the truck totally hidden and secure. With the rear jack no one even knows it exists
  • Ease of use: All wires 100% hidden
  • Ease of use: iPod and phone stay charged and not sliding around the cab
I agree aftermarket never looks the same. But, this one doesn't look bad and at least the lights match (and dim) the same. I didn't get this truck to win beauty pageants though!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

On a side note I think I am going to have to relocate the remote unfortunately. It doesn't work good from the current spot as it is not pointed at the unit, and the unit is a bit recessed in these trucks. I will call and see where the antenna for the remote is and if there is anything I could do to improve the reception. Many other places for it, but I still like my original choice the best!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The remote might be IR, in which case you are SOL.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No No...looks great and very smart choice. I'm just ...ummmm cheap. And I have commited to staying OEM.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
The remote might be IR, in which case you are SOL.
I'm sure it is, but with such a short range to go it *should* be OK. You could get an extender/repeater for $20 and hide it away. I'm not sure I would bother with that though. We did it in my friend's family SUV as they hid a DVD player under the seat. I'll see what they say, and play around with a couple things on it too!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by texmbr
No No...looks great and very smart choice. I'm just ...ummmm cheap. And I have commited to staying OEM.
Gottcha :-) I just am a bit of a techie so like the toys and stuff. And, for under $200 total not a bad deal! I stayed OEM in my Audi and got the newer style MMI system so I could do media cards, nav, sat, etc. It is pretty much the Euro version. Spent over $1,000 for that as I wanted it to look factory when I could have had the same (or better) aftermarket for the 1/2 the price. For that...I cared. For this, aftermarket is great

Old 03-31-2011, 03:24 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That is an awesome idea. Very clean audio upgrade.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm a techie as well. until it comes to cars. where i want nothing electronic on my trail rig. the radio is the least of my concerns right now. i need to plate this baby in armor so i don't bust a diff wide open and bleed me guts all over a trail in the back woods.

if i had money to spare i would spend the $40 on cheap replacement speakers considering all of mine are blown.

luckily its not my DD otherwise it would have all been sorted on the audio end of things. i just need it to ruffle some muffled sounds at me until i get to the trail.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i'm a techie as well. until it comes to cars. where i want nothing electronic on my trail rig. the radio is the least of my concerns right now. i need to plate this baby in armor so i don't bust a diff wide open and bleed me guts all over a trail in the back woods.

if i had money to spare i would spend the $40 on cheap replacement speakers considering all of mine are blown.

luckily its not my DD otherwise it would have all been sorted on the audio end of things. i just need it to ruffle some muffled sounds at me until i get to the trail.
Totally understand that! I need music period... and a phone... so a total must! I use this as the ski/board/bike rig, hopefully with some off road adventures thrown in. Also use it for the trips into NYC and Philly where if someone bumps it parking I don't care. Heck, it has spent more time at Newark airport since I got it than in my driveway!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great job

I swapped my audio unit a couple years ago. I put in an Alpine from Crutchfield as well. The big selling points for me was having access to XM radio and my iPOD integrated into the head unit...no extra exposed radios or wires.

For me, the wiring wasn't as straight forward as your described! The wiring documentation they provided was incorrect and it took few more hours and some time on the phone with them to make it work. But, I've loved it ever since. Photo below, sorry it is a little dark!

I think it is a pretty clean install. I have a iPOD interfaced to it. There is an iPOD connector cable from the back of the unit that I ran into the glove box. I plug my iPOD in and leave in the glove box, out of sight. Stays fully charged and I can control it via audio controls on the head unit and display. Also installed the XM radio module (also in glove box) and have full access to that. Has bluetooth for a handsfree phone connection, but have not installed that module yet.

Attached Thumbnails Best money spent to date on the Rover!  Plus, fixed the engine tick!-img00098-20110331-1334.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best money spent to date on the Rover! Plus, fixed the engine tick!