Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best money spent to date on the Rover! Plus, fixed the engine tick!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Best money spent to date on the Rover! Plus, fixed the engine tick!

After a couple months of dealing with having to listen to the radio (was not even going to bother burning CD's), I found the perfect all in one unit! Plus, I can't hear the tick! Check this out... all for around $175 and an hour easy install:
  • Hands Free Bluetooth
  • 2 USB ports including a hidden rear
  • Bluetooth audio streaming from Blackberry
  • iPod / iPhone controls and charges them
  • Aux input
  • Powerful plus works with the HK amp as well
  • Outputs for a future sub
  • 30 different colors to match lighting perfect
  • Easy and small remote
Here are a few of the shots:
Finished product. Looks nice.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE5NjAtMjAxMTAzMzEtMDEzNy5qcGc.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  92.8 KB
Direct wired and hidden mic for the phone. When you make/receive a call, the music is muted and the conversation is played through the speakers with adjustable volume. Crystal clear sound and great on the other end too. Call ID is also displayed right on the radio, as is battery life and signal. Your phone could stay totally out of sight or charging and no looking down!
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE5NTgtMjAxMTAzMzEtMDEzNi5qcGc.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  64.2 KB

Wired USB for the iPod (with full iPod/iPhone control and charging). This is where I will connect the iPod cable, and hide the cable under the console and run it into the center storage so it is out of sight totally. When hooked up, the iPod is totally controlled through the stereo if you want so you don't have to have it out at all. Plus, it charges!
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE5NTktMjAxMTAzMzEtMDEzNi5qcGc.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  54.0 KBAnd finally, the perfect sized remote to mount to the original audio control area. You could get a kit to use the stock buttons, but this remote is perfect and has more functions than stock (but still easy to navigate with your thumb in the dark).
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE5NTMtMjAxMTAzMzEtMDEzNS5qcGc.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  84.2 KB
Overall, pure WIN! The sound is amazing, and I also wired it up for an extra amp and sub (still don't have those). But, it is ready to go!
Huge thumbs up to Crutchfield for including everything needed and the wiring harnesses were perfect. Everything, including the mic and USB was done in about an hour!
Yes...I'm a huge music fan so this is a total must, but even if not, the other features are great!
Here is the unit:
JVC Arsenal KD-A815 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

Last edited by Snafu / Disco Fries; 03-31-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Snafu,

at least we know it can be done.
was there any numbers on the wiring adaptor? JVC to Alpine
was it plug & play or didi you have to cut and solder the wireson the adaptor?
It sound fine use the stock equipment, other have said thiers sound muted?
the remote did you just install it "over" the factory steering wheel controls.
you said that you can change the color of the display (which is good) can you change the size of the display or type?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nicely done. Having BT would be a real bonus for me...

Originally Posted by drowssap
the remote did you just install it "over" the factory steering wheel controls...
Just to take this one step further, how is the remote attached to the steering wheel? Over the existing controls, or did you remove the stock buttons and mount this remote in their place?

It looks like a nice option and a good size for the remote. If my stock head unit dies, I'll definitely consider this as an alternative.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

at least we know it can be done.
was there any numbers on the wiring adaptor? JVC to Alpine
No, not that I saw. It was literally plug and play. All you have to do is wire 5 wires from the Crutchfield adapter to the head unit adapter before you plug it in. The speaker wires from the original are not used, and 4 RCA jacks are plugged right into the back of the radio.
was it plug & play or didi you have to cut and solder the wireson the adaptor?
Just to connect the two adapters. You could solder if you want, I used wire nuts and tape. A 5 minute job.
It sound fine use the stock equipment, other have said thiers sound muted?
Total opposite. Sound is excellent. There is no bypass of the HK amp either, that is still connected. Sound is loud, clear and much cleaner. Plus now, using digital media rather than radio so that is a huge plus right away.
the remote did you just install it "over" the factory steering wheel controls.
Yes, for now at least. And to answer the question from someone else on how, I used a strong Velcro for now. I could do something more permanent down the road, but this is perfect as is right now. I wanted to "feel it out" for a bit first.
you said that you can change the color of the display (which is good) can you change the size of the display or type?
You could change the type to a few different things. The display is busy, especially when the phone is connected so it could help with things. For the color, you could have different colors for the **** and display too which is cool, but I will leave it as is for now.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

thanks,
maybe this should go under the Audio section on the main page, seeing as that is were most people would look.
thanks again

Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by drowssap
thanks,
maybe this should go under the Audio section on the main page, seeing as that is were most people would look.
thanks again
I thought about that, but doesn't look like that gets used much over there. Plus, being it was so simple, I didn't do a DIY video or anything. Could toss it over there though too.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've thought about changing the head unit, and my volume **** is actually acting up so now would be the time, but I just haven't seen anything aftermarket that looks as good in the dash. I know they're all loaded with features, but the factory unit is just "clean", It belongs. Because of that, I'll probably send my radio out to Roverville Radio to have them fix whatever is going wrong with my volume **** and to add the aux port on the face for playing MP3 and internet radio through my iPhone.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
I've thought about changing the head unit, and my volume **** is actually acting up so now would be the time, but I just haven't seen anything aftermarket that looks as good in the dash. I know they're all loaded with features, but the factory unit is just "clean", It belongs. Because of that, I'll probably send my radio out to Roverville Radio to have them fix whatever is going wrong with my volume **** and to add the aux port on the face for playing MP3 and internet radio through my iPhone.
Yeah I agree most aftermarket radio's look cheap and out of place imo.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new Thunderbolt smartphone pretty much does it all..and have the car cradle. Pandora, FM Radio, Fox news, Serius Radio, GPS, Phone....so I have a cassette adapter. It just works.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by texmbr
My new Thunderbolt smartphone pretty much does it all..and have the car cradle. Pandora, FM Radio, Fox news, Serius Radio, GPS, Phone....so I have a cassette adapter. It just works.
im in the same boat. i use my Droid x for all of those. but i use Slacker instead of Pandora. I also use the GPS mount for video when out on the trails. im to cheap to use anything except the cassette adapter!

Quick Reply: Best money spent to date on the Rover! Plus, fixed the engine tick!