Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best money spent to date on the Rover! Plus, fixed the engine tick!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cyberbaker:
Looks nice. Hard to argue with XM. This one could do the XM/HD/etc...but left those out figuring the iPod and BT sync to my BB for Pandora, etc would be good. I already pay for the Sirius and XM on the other rides...didn't want another bill!
The wiring was very simple though. 5 color coded wires to splice and 4 RCA jacks to plug in. I was impressed for sure! Also impressed at the vehicle specific little filler plate, etc too.
I'm actually thinking now about going your route with the glovebox. That was my initial thought, but figured it would be easier to have it right next to me. But, the head unit enables me to scroll through everything possible so I don't ever have to touch it. It will also avoid me having to drill into the bottom of the console to make the hidden wire.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We probably have the same set up/interface for the iPod. The glove box seemed to make the most sense to me for placement. Expecially for the XM unit. About a year after I installed it, it stopped working! The solution was to remove the little XM module and re-flash the firmware via a USB connection to my PC. A simple fix, but made easier because you can simply unplug it from the connector in the glove box. If I had to remove it from inside the dash it would be a PITA!

I wished that I had installed the bluetooth module when I originally installed it! Too lazy to do it now.

I tried the wiring kit that was supposed to interface with our existing steering wheel controls. Could never get it working and gave up on it. I wished I had that. If I do rip it out again, I may try to get that functional and add the Bluetooth.

I like the aux input ports on your set up...

Last edited by Cyberbaker; 03-31-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Any of you messed with the speakers in the subwoofer? I'm thinking about just taking out that entire thing and putting one nice 10" built into the passenger's side storage compartment.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, and a huge improvement in sound i'm sure. I used the following:

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

It has all the same features, and the green color matches nicely with the factory gauges and dash. Built in bluetooth and Ipod interface.

Mine doesnt have a remote though, so you have to reach over....but that doesnt really bother me. The tradeoff in other functions is well worth it.

Alpine also makes a small amp that plugs directly into their units with no additional wiring:
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
The amp really made a huge difference in ours, especially since we started with a S model that has no factory amp. The factory speakers in our 04 sounded good enough that i didnt replace them. Also the s model already had the trim plate for the oversized opening.

I sourced the components from various internet sources and got both for around 250 including the wiring adapter for the rover. Installation was about an hour.

I've also considered using one of the rear compartments for a sub. (no sub in the s model) Would like to see someone try it and report back

Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by barnescole

I've also considered using one of the rear compartments for a sub. (no sub in the s model) Would like to see someone try it and report back
I have the wires run back there, so just need to shop and see which amp/sub I want. The speakers in the stock sub are pretty much totally shot, so instead of spending the money to replace just the speakers, I could get a decent set up and have it be much nicer. Right now I'm thinking of just attaching a piece of wood to the backside of the plastic to make it strong, and cutting the hole and putting it right in there. Put a bit of felt around the top of the compartment where it opens so it closes tighter and doesn't rattle and be done with it.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Cyberbaker
We probably have the same set up/interface for the iPod. The glove box seemed to make the most sense to me for placement.
BTW... moved the iPod to the glovebox this weekend really quick. Since I don't need to see it, much easier and better there. Also moved the mic to the top of the plastic trim on the B pillar above the seatbelt. A bit better clarity. I'm getting a bit of background noise overall, so might have to ground it out better but otherwise GREAT!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Any of you messed with the speakers in the subwoofer? I'm thinking about just taking out that entire thing and putting one nice 10" built into the passenger's side storage compartment.

How about buying a sub w/ the box (like an 8") Remove the sub, cut hole in cargo panel, put box inside cargo area, reinsert sub (sandwiching the panel?)

Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by barnescole
How about buying a sub w/ the box (like an 8") Remove the sub, cut hole in cargo panel, put box inside cargo area, reinsert sub (sandwiching the panel?)
Yes, I did think about that but having a hard time finding one that will fit the dimensions. The other issue is that you would have to make the plastic stronger or else you will just hear all that vibrating. I've thought about just removing the cargo box all together and putting a sub w/box in it's place though. Not that I'm too concerned about looks back there, but I think the 1st way would still look nicer. Also, if I just put the sub in there (and use the open space as "the box" I would likely have room to also mount the amp in there. Being this is a ski/biking vehicle, I need to keep everything out of harm's way!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM
4wd Low

good point, i like the idea of removing one side altogether. i have a pair of JL audio 8" boxes in my 50 chevy pickup...and i think they may actually fit. i'll measure and report back.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey DiscoveryHouston... tried to reply to your PM but it says you can not accept them. Just an FYI...didn't want you to think I blew off the question! You might want to check your settings.

Quick Reply: Best money spent to date on the Rover! Plus, fixed the engine tick!