Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to Compression Test the cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It also think it's going to be pretty tough to test for leaks if I can't keep it running?

Last edited by caymandrew; 08-23-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Winching

Ok tired this since it isn't running:

Name:  51309521-B506-44EF-815F-F023DF4F6E4B_zpslzpspd3s.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  271.8 KB

Used a cigarette to search for leaks, couldn't find anything obvious and the shop vac blew a circuit breaker because it sounded like it was clogged.. so I can't detect any major vacuum leaks with this method. Any other ideas?

Old 08-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I just watched your video. It's hard to tell, but do I hear a clunking metal sound when it drops to low RPM's?

I'll admit that I'm kind of just guessing at this point, but here goes:

-Were you deep enough in mud that your exhaust could be clogged? When you start it up can you feel exhaust pressure at the tail pipe?

-Have you double checked the CPS to make sure you didn't get any debris or oil in the plug, and the plug is snapped in all the way?

-have you changed the oil and filter since you got it out? Did it look like water got in?

-Is there a seized pulley holding the drive belt?

-Are you sure you got the ECU installed correctly?

Old 08-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY

-Were you deep enough in mud that your exhaust could be clogged? When you start it up can you feel exhaust pressure at the tail pipe? Plenty of exhaust coming out of the pipe

-Have you double checked the CPS to make sure you didn't get any debris or oil in the plug, and the plug is snapped in all the way? Replaced the CPS to be sure it was all good

-have you changed the oil and filter since you got it out? Did it look like water got in? Twice, and the diffs, trans, new air filter, new MAF.

-Is there a seized pulley holding the drive belt? Great question, it did run for a couple of weeks afterwards once I replace all the air intake stuff which was soaking wet. But over time went down hill, into limp mode then to ultimately this. I'll pull the belt and see if anything is seized but the lowest being the crank pully?

-Are you sure you got the ECU installed correctly? Yes, and I tried twice, no change so I left the original one in as I was just moving the plugs around instead of unbolting the original which is a PITA (yes it was grounded)
All reply's in red

Old 08-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember you said you changed the CPS, I was just making sure that you got the new one plugged in all the way and snapped into place. It's also easy to get some type of debris in the plug when you reconnect it so I just wanted to double check and make sure everything looked good there.

You can just take the belt off and try and start it. Just don't let it run for a long time without it or it will get hot.

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 08-23-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you replace most stuff at once? Or one thing at a time? Did you replace with new or used? Did you keep your old parts?

I asked all that because many years ago while back at home visiting I replaced the distributor, plugs and wires on the farm Rover. On startup it ran like crap, like it was running on one cylinder. So I figured I'd screwed up the distributor install. I messed with it for hours, couldn't sort it out and had to leave to go back to school. This went on for a year, every time I was back home I'd spend hours and hours with it. Finally, one time, out of desperation I installed a set of new plugs my dad had for his Toyota Corolla and it started right up and ran smooth as silk. It turned out 3 of the 4 brand new spark plugs I'd installed were bad.
I learned that day to never assume a new part can't be bad and to replace as little as feasible at the same time.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Winching

I did each part one at a time. I started with the Air, then moved to spark, then started the IAC and CPS ( it did run for a while after replacing the CPS but I was never able to floor the gas). Then as things went down hill I started on the fuel system. I have all of the original parts and have tried swapping things around trying to isolate. Going to try without the belt today.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Winching

OK, took the belt off, no change. We can rule out a ceased pulley. Now the joys of putting back on

Old 08-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

How high was the water level where it was sitting? Was there any heavy rain while it was there that might have raised the level while you were gone then went back down before you got back to it?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Winching

When I opened the driver side door water came in, it was not much but it was just at the door level. Over the next 5 days we had zero rain and 90 degree temps so the water actually dropped about 4 inches in the mean time making it easier to get out. As per your advice I tough maybe I got a bad batch of spark plugs so I bought another set of 8, no change. What the heck is the box under the center of the truck the fuel lines run into? I can't find it in the RAVE?

Quick Reply: Best way to Compression Test the cylinders