Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to Compression Test the cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
They won't, except he was talking about cutting the wires off as a last resort.
Sorry, did not mean to come off sounding rude.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
The o2 sensors wouldn't keep your engine from running, neither would the breather tubes being clogged.
Thanks, I won't waste time and energy trying to get them out if they are not the root of my issue.

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
You might want to take a close look at the fuse box under the hood. Maybe it got water in it and was slowly going out as you drove it after you got it unstuck. I really think that you have some sort of electrical issue going on since you are sure you have good spark and fuel pressure.
I agree. I've tested with a volt meter all of the 100AMP and 50 AMP fuses, double checked every 40 amp and lower, moved around every square relay that was interchangeable. If I unplug the fuel relay it wont start so I think the box in the engine compartment is good.

When I say I have spark, if I can keep it running for a half a minute, I can pull the plug wires and see spark against the valve cover or hear the tick, tick, tick when close to the plug. But lately I've noticed when I remove the plugs they smell like gas? Wet fuel. That's why I just bought a second batch of new plugs. It doesn't make sense to me that the coils are producing enough spark for ignition and then dying off. It also has a new battery which I've been keeping on a charger for all of this testing. I tried unplugging all the plugs from one coil on each side and tried to start, it's far worse than everything plugged in. This Disco is going to kill me!!

Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

This might be a stupid question, but are you sure you have the wires hooked up correctly at the coil and cylinders?
Best way to Compression Test the cylinders-wire-coil-locations.jpg

I know it's a Pain In The *** but I think you might want to pull the CPS back off and look at it again to make sure the plug from the engine harness looks good and there is no oil or debris in there. If you just bought the CPS it should have a warranty, I would just return it for another one to make sure it's not the issue.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
This might be a stupid question, but are you sure you have the wires hooked up correctly at the coil and cylinders?
Attachment 27186

I know it's a Pain In The *** but I think you might want to pull the CPS back off and look at it again to make sure the plug from the engine harness looks good and there is no oil or debris in there. If you just bought the CPS it should have a warranty, I would just return it for another one to make sure it's not the issue.
Yup, I haven't moved the coil packs, and when I upgraded the wires to 8mm I used a silver sharpie to label each end at the plug, so I know for sure they are in the correct place. As if this issue couldn't get any stranger, it has. I was in the midst of taking the top end back off when I realized the throttle was slightly open. I suppose when I torqued back down the cable holder I didn't do it in the same position which pulled the throttle cables just enough to to leave a 1 or 2 mm gap. I removed the cables so the throttle would shut all the way and guess what? Now it'll idle all day long. SO I'm back to square one. If I apply pressure to the throttle or try and give it gas it stalls!! Check out this video:

http://vid1209.photobucket.com/album...psm2artuye.mp4

Now for a fun and new interesting fact. Now that it actually idles I can test for vacuum leaks. If I spray starter fluid on the passenger side nothing. Down the center nothing, on the driver side, 4 alarm fire every time! It's easy to blow out, but obviously I have some sort of electrical issue on the driver side with the plugs or a major leak. What to do next to fix this?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Fire is no good. Where is it coming from exactly? If you think you have an electrical short causing a spark, causing a fire, then that's a problem. This might help you find the short without catching yourself on fire.
1)Wait until it gets dark out
2)go out and start the truck and let it idle
3)get a spray bottle with water and spray around while you look for arching.
(It helps if you turn out all flashlights and get it as dark as possible.)

When you are trying to give it gas in the video you don't have the MAF hooked up. That good be part of the issue. Although your truck appears to be running fine I can tell by the slight knock sound that you probably have a misfire. When my coils went bad my truck would idle okay but when you gave it gas you could start to tell there were dead cylinders.

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 08-28-2015 at 09:47 PM.