Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bleed screw on radiator hose...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleed screw on radiator hose...

what started out as a slow antifreeze leak turns into a bigger antifreeze leak. and sure enough my radiator has sprung a leak in the right side. had it replaced on tuesday. today, thursday, i walk outside to find a HUGE puddle under my truck! open up the hood and the little bleed screw on the hose above the radiator has popped off and fluid has spewed everywhere. the screw is snapped off, so retightening is out of the question. new hose is my only option i suppose. but i was wondering if there is a direct corrolation to replacing the radiator and the screw sheering off 2 days later, or am i just dealing with a weird coincidence...

Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: bleed screw on radiator hose...

Odds are that as part of loosening and tightening the screw to bleed the cooling system, the screw developed a crack which weakened it to the point where coolant pressure finished the job.

I'd lean toward saying thescrew should not crack simply due to loosening it and tightening it, so the odds are there was something wrong with it to begin with, which was made worse due to using it as part of bleeding, and it thenfinally blew under coolant pressure.

Another possibility is that it was overtightened when they buttoned it up, it cracked when they did that, and the crack blew apart under coolant pressure. I don't know how you'd go about overtightening it though. You'd think the housing it screws in to would crack long before the screw does.

I guess I'd lean toward the theory that says it was made defectively, using it cracked it, and the coolant pressure was too much for the cracked screw to handle.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Drifting

You could put a bolt in it that is the correct size, just use a little sealant to make sure it won't leak. (It's cheaper than a new hose.) My shop did it. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Overlanding

thanks for the idea, but my shop put a new hose on this morning. went to the dealership and bought the part, then my local mech switched it out for me. who knew a rubber tube could cost $65!!! but at least this one has the bleed screw on the T joint, not the hose itself...maybe it will last a little longer...

Old 03-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you have any moe coolant or heat related issues, I would suggest you do a coolant pressure and chemical block test to rule out a head gasket buuilding up pressure.
Mike

Old 03-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Overlanding

they did a pressure check a week or so ago, when they determined the radiator leak. but i dont know if they did one after the repair. i assume so- but you never know...

i will keep an eye on my temp and coolant levels. thanks.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a reason that the replacement hose now ships with the bleed screw integrated into the T-joint. There was a design flaw with the original set-up and once disturbed after 60K or more miles, it tends to fail as yours did.

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 03-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Overlanding

well, that makes perfect sense. i have 64,000...

i just feel better knowing that it wasn't my mechanic being careless or negligent. being a girl, i worry sometimes that i wouldn't know a good shop from a bad one. but they drove out to where i was parked when the screw broke to make sure i got it home ok. then, after i bought the new hose, they swappedthem outfor meat no cost. their customer service is top knotch, i like to think the work they do is right on par as well...

Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Mudding

Mine popped out this morning.
I used a stainless steel bolt, with a concave washer that was bigger than the opening and shoved the washer and bolt head into the hose, then put a big thumbscrew on the outside so no chance of the bolt entering the system.

Has there been anymore brainstorms for an easy and secure fix for this issue in the last 6 years? I just dug up this thread from search.

Also, since you are here. Does anyones radiator overflow tank cap make hissing, bubling sounds? I am wondering if my cap may be bad, or if I have some cylinder blowthru in the coolant system causing excessive pressure.
I am gonna have it checked for that this week, got a buddy hook up.