Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper hose bleed screw...uh oh

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upper hose bleed screw...uh oh

It wont screw back in the damn hole... so i guess its time to replace the upper hose assembly, or is there some trick to this?

question is, can i just take off the hose clamps and slap the new one on, add alittle coolant and bleed it out and be good to go? the new style hose doesnt look the same shape, does it still "snap" into place or do i have to remove that shroud?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

hmm i just found a picture of the screw... annnnd its ALOT longer then what came out hahaha... so im guessing its partially plugged... jbweld or something jammed in the hole maybe offer a temp seal to go a few miles?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

nevermind, just got worse... the other part of the screw went into the hose... HOPE it stays there..... **** YOU LAND ROVER STOP MAKING THINGS OUT OF PLASTIC

Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

grab a new hose or try to back the broken part of the screw out with a back out tool. Make sure that you have it all out, you don't want any of it clogging the cooling system. If you can get it all out, you can get a new screw at a BMW dealer. Buy a couple of them, you may bugger them up when bleeding the system. I have had a couple crack on me. I believe it is a 98 3 series that uses that same bleeder screw. The guys here at San Diego BMW knew exactly what I wanted. Changing the hose isn't hard, but it is a bit of a pain in the tail. If you use JB Weld, you aren't going to get it back out......The hose is about $80 from the dealer......Screw is about $3 from BMW .good luck. Phil

Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

this is going to be interesting... land rover monmouth opens at 8am... HOPE they have the hose in stock. I have work at 830... i get off at 430, they close at 5.... its bout 15 minutes to get there...

any guestimates on how much coolant i will loose? i have about 3/4 gallon of amsoil concentrate left.

i see the new hose has the bleeder at the t connection instead, is it still a POS plastic bleeder that i should look to replace in the future anyway?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't lose a lot-maybe 1/2 liter (1/8 gallon) if you are quick. Have someone help you and plug the hoses with their hand while you are disconnecting the other ones. Then just connect them really quick. Don't forget to bleed the system after because you will have air in the system!
Ohhhh make sure the truck is cold (goes without saying lol).

Old 11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ha yea... wont have any help at hand... im thinking now, is there a drain plug on the radiator anywhere? maybe ill drain whats in there into a container for reuse, its brand new fluid, less then a 1000 miles on it! shame to waste a drop... maybe take out a half gallon, swap hoses then try my hands at my first bleed... not looking forward to it. the walk through looks easy enough, and i heard that lifting the tank up a few inches above everything making it the highest yields the best results... if i can at least get it driveable for a 3 minute trip to the sunoco station i can have them do a proper bleed. what REALLY sucks is that my debit card is frozen since 2 days ago some ****tard used my numbers in colorado to buy $484 of **** at walmart, and fraud protection denied the transaction but in doing so also cancels the card, and instead of being able to get a new one at the branch, it has to be mailed (3-5 buisnes days) what fuc|<in timing i tell you!! to many headaches to juggle at once. i got the motorcycle and its sunny tomorrow, but rain saturday, and im supposed to be in lakewood tomorrow after work and midevil times saturday!!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

yep... they were outa stock. fml

Old 11-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

If you were close by, I have one you could have had.........I bought a spare hose and thermostat a month ago that I am not using. If part of the screw broke off, i would strongly suggest that you thoroughly flush the cooling system from every which way. The screw piece could clog a number of smaller passages in the cooling system, including the heater core, the thermostat, etc. Good luck with the fix. Phil

Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

yea... :'( I HOPE I find it right in the upper hose or cought on the thermo, not sure which direction the coolant flows in relation to that (to or from the thermo past the bleeder?) I clamped it off left/right of the bleeder... my plans to cut a hole on the hose just by the radiator and let it drain out into a container, then repeat the other side... put on the new hose with screw type clamps instead of those damn spring lock ones, and try my hand at my first refill/bleed...maybe even start filling it from the new bleeder screw type to fill in as much of the new hose as possible before starting up the engine to reduce the amount of air that will get pushed into the system?

Quick Reply: Upper hose bleed screw...uh oh