Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinkers flashing and engine won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 11:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinkers flashing and engine won’t start

This morning I went to start my car but the flashers started blinking and the engine wouldn’t fire up (does turn over). I’m pretty sure it’s some kind of security anti theft thing. I did some research and pushed on the inertia switch and even stuck a paper clip in it to bypass the button just Incase. I looked in the service manual and I think the engines been immobilized.I have the original key fob to unlock it but that’s not helping any. I’ve also disconnected the battery and touched the leads together to reset stuff. I took the blinker fuse out so it wouldn’t kill my battery. I’d appreciate any new things to try. Thank you!

Last edited by Kadin Wallner; 03-15-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Did you try using the key to open the driver's door? Also, try entering your Disco 2's personal 4-digit EKA code into the driver's door lock. If you don't know your EKA code, try 1515.

The following users liked this post:
Kadin Wallner (03-18-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 08:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Try the EKA code Juke recommended. Definitely sounds like an immobilizer issue. Mine did that one time during my lunch break, EKA code wouldn't work. No idea what exactly happened, mine ended up fixing itself. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:46 AM
Overlanding
Default Still not turning on

I followed the steps to remobilize the engine. There were two different guys with different instructions and I tried both and neither worked. I looked for the code in the owners manual but it was never written down so I tried the 1515 but it didn’t seem to be notifying me if I’m wrong or not. One of the doors doesn’t lock or unlock. Would that be an issue?

Old 03-16-2020, 11:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

I had the same thing happen the other day and what cleared it for me was putting the key in position 2 (do not start) and press the unlock button on the fob. Maybe lock and unlock a time or two. Blinkers shut off and the red light stopped blinking. Not sure if it was coincidence or if this a repeatable occurrence but it worked from my 04.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Overlanding

I just tried pushing the buttons on the key fob in the ignition and it didn’t work. The blinkers didn’t start again until I opened the door. A Land Rover guy on the phone said there’s no EKA code for the series 2 but he said something on my drivers door could be messed up I can’t remember what he said. Also my rear passenger door lock doesn’t work anymore it does work manually but not electrically. It did work like 50% of the time but now it completely doesn’t work anymore so maybe that could be a problem also?

Old 03-16-2020, 01:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Not sure if this is just a brevity thing with your post or not, but when I did it the key was on and the dash was lit up, not just key in the ignition. Your door problem could certainly be a factor if the lock assemblies aren't communicating with the BCU correctly.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Overlanding

Oh yeah sorry I left that part out without thinking. I had the key in the ignition in the position right before it starts cranking and I pushed on the buttons a few times and it still didn’t work for me. I appreciate the new things to try though. I’m thinking there’s something going on also along with this so it’s messing stuff up. I really don’t know though

Old 03-17-2020, 03:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadin Wallner
A Land Rover guy on the phone said there’s no EKA code for the series 2...
Dude's full of Sh*t. Try another LR garage. They can get the EKA code for your specific Disco 2 from the BCU with a diagnostic tester
When you do get your EKA code, follow theses steps exactly...
The code is recorded on the security information card and is entered as follows:
  1. Using the key, turn the driver's door lock to the UNLOCK position and hold in this position for at least 5 seconds. An audible warning is then emitted to indicate that the body control unit is ready to accept the code. Return the key to the centre position. It is now possible to use the key to enter the separate numerical values of the four digits that make up the EKA code.
  2. Enter the first digit of the code. If the first digit is 1, turn the key to the UNLOCK position 1 times. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.
  3. Enter the second digit of the code. If the second digit is 5, turn the key to the LOCK position 5 times. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.
  4. Enter the third digit of the code. If the third digit is 1, turn the key to the UNLOCK position 1 times. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.
  5. Enter the fourth digit of the code. If the fourth digit is 5, turn the key to the LOCK position 5 times. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.
  6. Finally, turn the key to the UNLOCK position and back to the centre position, a double bleep will indicate that the code has been entered correctly. A single bleep indicates that the code has been entered incorrectly.
Then, before opening the door, wait 5 minutes for the alarm and immobiliser to be de-activated. During the 5 minute wait for the alarm and immobiliser to be de-activated, the alarm indicator LED in the instrument pack continues to flash (one flash every 2 seconds). DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR OR ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE CAR until the full delay period has elapsed.

When the 5 minute wait has elapsed, the alarm indicator LED stops flashing. Immediately open the door, insert the key in the ignition switch and turn the switch to position II. If the ignition switch is not turned to position II within 30 seconds of the end of the 5 minute wait, the engine is automatically immobilised again.
The EKA code will not be recognised if there is an interval of 10 seconds or more between key turns or if the key is held turned for 5 seconds or more during the procedure.

In some system configurations a successful EKA code entry is indicated by the audible warning device pulsing twice for a period of 50 ms on, 200 ms off. The theft deterrent LED is switched on for 1 second, all doors unlock, the alarm disarms and the vehicle is remobilised allowing the engine to start.

If an incorrect code is entered, an audible warning is emitted and the procedure must be repeated. Up to a maximum of 10 attempts to enter the code is possible. After 10 attempts, the BCU will not allow any further codes to be entered for a period of 10 minutes.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

I have had this, driving along lucky very slow the engine stopped and my 4 way flashed lite up, , so you need to lift the bonnet, fitted on the bulkhead you should find a as reset button, it has a black rubber top , just push it ita part of you collision protection, , I pulled the wires off put then back on push down on the button , beenfine for the the last 6 years

Last edited by frostythor; 03-17-2020 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Blinkers flashing and engine won’t start