Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower fan under hood question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Blower fan under hood question

Hi all, does the Disco II (2002) have 2 blower fans? There is one under the hood, by the firewall, beside the radiator expansion tank that is loud when running. I have seen blower motors in the cabins of other vehicles behind the glove box squeal when the bearings go bad.

What is the purpose of this fan? It seems easy to replace. Is it an expensive item and is it indeed fairly easy to replace?

Thanks!

Ah! I just remembered that the truck has driver/passenger blower controls. Is this fan related to that?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Fan that moves heat and AC is under the dash. Fan that cools AC condenser is the first thing behind the grille, should spin freely, and should run under certain circumstances when computer tells it to. Fan that supplies air to Secondary Air Injection is near where you describe, should not make a lot of noise, and certainly should not be running all the time. Here is a pix. You can unplug it to confirm noise. If making noise, probably about dead. Has a filter inside, not designed to have bearings greased periodically. More like run until siezed.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 sai pump.pdf (440.7 KB, 204 views)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Fan that moves heat and AC is under the dash. Fan that cools AC condenser is the first thing behind the grille, should spin freely, and should run under certain circumstances when computer tells it to. Fan that supplies air to Secondary Air Injection is near where you describe, should not make a lot of noise, and certainly should not be running all the time. Here is a pix. You can unplug it to confirm noise. If making noise, probably about dead. Has a filter inside, not designed to have bearings greased periodically. More like run until siezed.
The fan I described is on the passenger fire wall under the hood. Looks like it has a couple of snap-off access lids. I only notice it when the truck is first started and it is loud for about 1-2 minutes then stops.

At first I thought it was the fan blower behind the glove box, but when I opened the hood I could hear it squeal and I could touch the housing and feel it running and squealing.

Yes, from the picture that appears to be the same fan.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The SAI is intended to run at cold start, supplying some air to act as an "after burner" and reduce some of the tail pipe smog, saving the planet. But if making a loud racket, like a hair dryer about to blow up, the bearings are not long for the world.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Winching

Kind of hard to describe how "bad" the squeal is. Not horrendous or anything like fingernails on a chalk board. More of a loud hum or "HOOOOOOOOOO" sound. I will check the access openings to see if there is a filter or something I can clean.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieb
Kind of hard to describe how "bad" the squeal is. Not horrendous or anything like fingernails on a chalk board. More of a loud hum or "HOOOOOOOOOO" sound. I will check the access openings to see if there is a filter or something I can clean.

Thanks!
Mine Whirs up pretty loud, and I believe it's normal. One member described it like a Jet Engine running for a minute or two. I've also read that if you change the filter inside, it quiets down a bit. If you search the forums, you will find the thread about the filter change.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...p-noise-23245/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...tart-up-48163/

Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can go pick up a lawn mower engine filter and cut that to size as a replacement. It should sound like a jet engine at idle when first started as this primes the catalytic converters once warmed up it should shut off until the next "cold" start.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Winching

Thank you all! This is great help. I'll open it up and take photos if it looks interesting.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I am unaware of the sound with mine until it winds down after warm-up. Then I hear it wind down and am more aware of the absence of its sound. I believe that is as it should be.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado David
I am unaware of the sound with mine until it winds down after warm-up. Then I hear it wind down and am more aware of the absence of its sound. I believe that is as it should be.

Well your wrong!!!

Quick Reply: Blower fan under hood question