Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The blower situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The blower situation ::..

Hi All!

A couple weeks ago the blower started acting up. It stops, then after a while starts up again, or sometimes it just does not turn on at all, so I've been avoiding using the A/C.

Today I took it out to rule out if it was dead. I hooked it to my car battery and it started for a sec, but stopped after separating the wires; after connecting the wire again it did not start until I sord of gave a push to the cage, then it started working.

I couldn't remove the cage to reveal the shaft and be able to apply some WD40 there, so just sprayed some at the tip hoping it will go down the shaft and lubricate it below.

Used some electric connector spray on all connectors and hooked it up; it did work fine until I turned off the A/C, then it would not start again until I softly hit the underside if the blower.

I did not turn it off and on again after that, so I'm not sure if it will work next time I turn it on, we'll see then.

Any ideas where should I be looking into? ...could it be the blower just dying? ...any pointers would be of much help, thankfully #WinterIsComing and with it cooler temps! ;-]#

Old 10-29-2016, 11:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you might have a bad blower motor my friend. Check ebay, good used ones are fairly cheap.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

...and there are now China versions available, which work just fine (at least in my experience.)
When my original blower motor first started acting up, I got about two more years life out of it by completely removing it from the case, opening the metal shell and cleaning out all the carbon powder which accumulates from brush wear.
Good luck.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

SuperSport did an outstanding breakdown on how to clean your LR blower fan...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...llation-55530/

Old 10-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Brushes are probably worn to the point where the springs behind them don't give the brushes good contact pressure, plus as mentioned, crud build-up doesn't help.

Buy a new motor...or replace brushes and clean assembly, if parts are available.

Brian.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:54 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
SuperSport did an outstanding breakdown on how to clean your LR blower fan...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...llation-55530/
...thanks JUKE179r, I did come accross it and it helped to refresh the procedure, which by the way, an excellent write up!

Back when I recently bought my truck, the plenum was all cracked and broken in many pieces; all kinds of debris came in through there, rain water included, so covered up the intake vent with a net to prevent leaves from coming in, and I did take the blower down and was able to pull the "squirrel cage" apart, cleaned everything thoroughly and lubricated it; it ran pretty well since.

Recently I was able to replace the plenum and I should have take the blower down and reservice it now that nothing would come in there, bit didn't.

Squeaky noises is what I heard first, so my thought is dust, corrosion from the water that came in, etc., then the intermittent stops until it just turns on when it wants.

Yesterday I got to the point of trying to pry the cage apart, but just couldn't, so left it at that; it seems to be maintenence since it did work pretty fine until I shut it off and when back on again I had to tap it.

So I'll review SuperSports's write-up again and get to it since I've done it before; it is a fairly easy thing to do, except for that screw of the blower by the firewall, that makes things rough; plus the fact I'm 44 size pants with a bad sight, and to bend myself in that small space it's a trip itself.

Anyways, thanks for your time and having steered me to that write-up again!

Have a nice Sunday! ;-]#

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (11-10-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by 03discoken
Sounds like you might have a bad blower motor my friend. Check ebay, good used ones are fairly cheap.
Thanks 03DiscoKen, hopefully it isn't "complety bad" and maintenance will revive it, if not I'll follow your Ebay recommendation, thanks again!

Have a Nice Sunday! ;-]#

Old 10-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by NickAdams
...and there are now China versions available, which work just fine (at least in my experience.)
When my original blower motor first started acting up, I got about two more years life out of it by completely removing it from the case, opening the metal shell and cleaning out all the carbon powder which accumulates from brush wear.
Good luck.
Thanks NickAdams, will attempt the maintenance route this morning once more, and hopefully will span its life a couple years more, like yours; if not, I'll be looking towards our friends from the Far East!

Have a Nice Sunday ! ;-]#

Old 10-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Brushes are probably worn to the point where the springs behind them don't give the brushes good contact pressure, plus as mentioned, crud build-up doesn't help.

Buy a new motor...or replace brushes and clean assembly, if parts are available.

Brian.
Thanks Brian, I'll retry the maintenance again and take it from there, hopefully is just that!

Have a Nice Sunday! ;-]#

Old 11-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Winching

Hi All!

Happy to report that second maintenance attempt was a success.

Blower have been working just fine since Sunday's , and no noise.

I do think it might not be running up to speed, but that might be a perception issue, actually don't recall how strong it blew when I bought it, or haven't been able to compare it to a similar truck, meanwhile I'm happy, besides #WinterIsComing.

Those instructions are on point, although no good explanation is given on how to get the Squirrel Cage out -I used a screwdriver and a hammer; and firmly, but gently, delivered a tap on the shaft until it slid out, you could see the dirt that came out during the hammering process.

Sprayed a new can of Electronic Cleaner in there, but couldn't find the 3-IN-ONE for motor applications, so ended up buying the regular one.

Thanks all and good luck to those attempting the Blower Revival! ;-]#

Quick Reply: ..:: The blower situation ::..