Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The blower situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
If you have the lower dash cover off, you’ll be staring straight at the blower. It has a blue 2pin connector. Now off to the right of the blower and usually held onto the blower pack assembly itself is another 2pin connector, this one is white/off white. One side goes into a harness up to the blower relay, and the other side if I’m not mistaken leads to the blue 2pin on the blower or the resistor.

Check it & chances are it’s melted & not causing a good contact.
Thanks Best4x4! ...but went in and re-checked that and all other connectors, they all look good, not burnt, not melted or discolored, please see the pics attached.

Attached Thumbnails ..:: The blower situation ::..-20180415_143132.jpg   ..:: The blower situation ::..-20180415_143226.jpg  
Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Twix
The fuse panel going is actually quite common. Moisture gets in and corrodes the boards and stuff will at first intermittently work, then just not work altogether.

My motor would spin, then shut off then on again. Eventually it just crapped out. I checked the fuse and it was fine, the transistor pack rarely has issues since it's solid state. Checked for power at the motor connectors and had nothing, while sometimes it would show up.

So start with power at the motor lead connector? Do you have 12v there? If your fan needs a bump to start directly off the battery, it's done. Needs to be replaced. It should spin at max speed and accelerate to that speed within 2 seconds of having 12v supply. Speed controller isn't a resistor, it's a solid state transistor power supply. Chances of it crapping out are close to zero. To test, try cycling through fan speeds, you'll see voltage change at the motor leads. Check for voltage at the fuse as well, I'd actually start here. If there's no voltage across the fuse holder then you won't have power at the motor.

Keep in mind one thing. My panel was toast but would give me voltage readings across the fuse. But once there was a load attached, the board would open and the connection and voltage would be lost. I eliminated all the other parts one by one until I found the fuse panel boards would open under load.

1. Check fuse
2. Check fuse for voltage across the holder
3. Check for voltage at the motor lead connector (if it's brown it needs to be fixed, common)
4. Check motor directly to a 12v source, should spin hard and fast almost immediately

Lastly, make sure if there is voltage at the leads, to cycle through the fan speeds to check for the power pack operation.

Let me know what you find.
Thanks Twix! ...went in checked the items in your list.
1. Check fuse >>> I DID AND ONLY THE ONE FOR THE LIGHTER WAS BLOWN, ALREADY REMOVED IT TO REPLACE IT.

2. Check fuse for voltage across the holder >>> I DID & MOST SHOWED BETWEEN 12.2V TO 12.38V.

3. Check for voltage at the motor lead connector (if it's brown it needs to be fixed, common) >>> THIS I DID NOT DO, NOT QUITE SURE HOW TO TEST IT, BUT I GUESS IS BLACK PROBE TO GROUND, AND RED TO THE CONNECTOR FROM BEHIND, CORRECT?

4. Check motor directly to a 12v source, should spin hard and fast almost immediately >>> I DID & IT SPINS FINE, CHECK IT OUT:

5.- Lastly, make sure if there is voltage at the leads, to cycle through the fan speeds to check for the power pack operation. >>> THIS I DID NOT DO, NOT QUITE SURE HOW TO DO IT.
Thanks! ;-]#

Old 04-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Extinct
I would also suggest the underdash fuse box, drivers side. The blower fuse connect suffers from a cracked solder connection. Some people take the fusebox apart and resolder, some replace it, some bypass it by connecting an inline fuse to the input and output wire. Look for the threads on blower fuse.
Thanks Extinct! I will look into those threads. ;-]#

Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Winching

Hello Roverers!

Thank you all for all the guidance, really appreciate it! this is the update after reading your inputs and following some instructions.

Hooked up the blower once again since it obviously worked, and focused on checking connections after also checking fuses and power, which seems to be OK as well.

Connected it without putting it into place, and it works fine; cycled it thru the buttons and it seems to be responding fine. Take a look at the video where you can see spinning hard to low, depending on the setting.

Since it was working fine, and without disconnecting anything, I put it back in place; put the bottom cover back on, and re-tested it. It is running, but feel it is not blowing/spinning as hard as when I tested before putting it in place, I think the air coming out of the vents should be stronger or the noise should be harder, but for some reason when it is in place it seems to be spinning slower and almost noiseless, even on max speed, but at least cold air is blowing into the cabin. Hopefully this time around it will hold for a while, since in the past it eventually stops working and it's "déjà vu".

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Old 04-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Glad it's working and I'm glad the wiring harness didn't look like the 03 500.00 D2 I have. I've always felt like the max speed on the D2 blower was on the weak side vs other vehicles. There is a mod for a Pontiac blower someone did in a D2, but I don't have that info saved.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

So with the motor disconnected from the connector, you can check the voltages at the pins as you work through the speeds.

Voltage should vary from ~12v at full speed to maybe 8v at it's lowest (not entirely sure, but it will be lower)

Edit: looks like it's all working in that video, but I still suspect that one or more of the speed control or power connectors isn't fully engaging.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Another thing I forgot to ask, what vents are you trying to get air out of? Have you tried cycling through all the various vent combos to see if air is coming out of all the vents? With the fan in the off position, you should be able to hear the mixers moving.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Glad it's working and I'm glad the wiring harness didn't look like the 03 500.00 D2 I have. I've always felt like the max speed on the D2 blower was on the weak side vs other vehicles. There is a mod for a Pontiac blower someone did in a D2, but I don't have that info saved.
...yup, think I dodged the bullet of burnt/melted/faulty connectors for now, but what bothers me after putting it back in place this last time, is that I got to test it more than previous times, and while testing it you could see and hear how it speeds up and sounds like if it was going to blow enough air to keep you stuck to your seat; not getting that result now that it is back in place, leaves me a bit frustrated. I haven't been in another Disco S2 with AC on, so don't know if this output is normal, but yes, it sure is "weak". Hopefully this time around lasts. Thanks again for your input! ;-]#

Old 04-15-2018, 06:19 PM
Winching

So with the motor disconnected from the connector, you can check the voltages at the pins as you work through the speeds.

Voltage should vary from ~12v at full speed to maybe 8v at it's lowest (not entirely sure, but it will be lower)

Edit: looks like it's all working in that video, but I still suspect that one or more of the speed control or power connectors isn't fully engaging.
Thanks Twix! ...will run that test and see what the numbers are, hopefully they are within those you suggest. As I cycled thru the 4 or 5 different speeds it is suppose to have, I sure felt it revved up/down accordingly while it was out, but now that it is in place, I feel the blow "weak" and very low sound, when I was expecting different. Anyways, I'll run the voltage test at the points you suggest and will report my findings, thanks again! ;-#

Old 04-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Winching

Another thing I forgot to ask, what vents are you trying to get air out of? Have you tried cycling through all the various vent combos to see if air is coming out of all the vents? With the fan in the off position, you should be able to hear the mixers moving.
I mostly used the four dash vents, and with only does activated, the flow is very weak. Haven't paid attention to the floor vents, but will when testing the voltage, although I'm pretty sure a similar flow is felt.

My point of comparison is the rear blower; when you turn it on at max speed you can hear and feel that sucker blowing hard, that's what I was expecting for the front blower, but no. ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 04-15-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: ..:: The blower situation ::..