Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Coolant hose from block, new thermostat assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Coolant hose from block, new thermostat assembly?

I have a 2001 D2 with about 150k on the motor. We have been in the double digit negatives over night for a few weeks and I think my thermostat went bad, then the hose connecting the block to the thermostat cracked and spilled coolant everywhere. My mechanic tells me that in order to replace that one hose, it's necessary to replace the whole thermostat hose assembly and thermostat. He is quoting me a price of almost 600.00 to do the work. He says he has 2.5 hours in labor at 96.00/hr. The rest is parts and coolant. I do live in a small town in Colorado where mechanics don't want to necessarily work on imports, however, I thought this was a bit high for replacing a t-stat and hoses. A few questions:

1.) Does this require 2.5 hours and special tools to pull these pressure clips on the hoses?
2.) Does the whole thermostat hose assembly have to be replaced with the thermostat, or can I find the one hose I'm looking for, replace it, and then replace the old thermostat with a new one and make the necessary connections?
3.) Is my mechanic overcharging?

I'm pretty decent with my hands and have done most of the minor work on my truck, it looks like the only tough hose to get to is the one from the block...unfortunately, that's the one I popped. Is this a straight forward job...just pulling the clamps, replacing the necessary parts, i.e. the hose and t-stat?

Thanks so much, trying to keep my repair costs down...much appreciate the response!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do this work for $100 and save yourself alot!!! The thermostat can be found for $35 dollars and i will look for the hose for you! Is this the one your looking for? It goes on the bottom of radiator to bottom of t-stat.....
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...Ol34dskfBbxCJg
No special tools required although you will need to bleed the system after you change these items and fill with coolant! This maybe a 2hr job for a first timer but I doubt that. Also there are no hoses that go from t-stat to block? But there is one that goes from t-stat to water pump. I need to know which one you need?

Last edited by lr2001silver; 01-09-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Thermostat is 3 clamps and some patience to get the bottom one. I would think the entire job is hose clamps and bleeding the coolant system.
Check out roverparts.com and search hose kit for the Discovery II. It will itemize all the separate hoses in the $225 kit. ($225 gets you every coolant hose on the truck BTW) You can purchase just the one you require. (Thermostat to water pump hose is $94.)
Just a starting place, there are other places to look online.. BP Utah, etc

Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Today I just drained and flushed my cooling system, then installed a new 180 degree thermostat and then filled and flushed my system. In all, about 3 hours and I was working pretty slow because it's cold and I'm not physically well. A pair of Channel Lock Pliers for the clamps, and a Screw Driver for the Bleed Screw (Which was broken and leaking, so I replaced tonight). Pretty easy if you know how to do this stuff, but a little hard to reach the clamps at some strange angles, but not too bad. Definitely worth saving the money on this job.

Needed Items:
Large Screw Driver - Already Own
Channel Lock Pliers - Already Own
Prestone Super Flush - $4
Walmart SuperTech Brand 150k Mile Coolant - $18 for Two Jugs
180 Degree Thermostat - $46.44 including Shipping and Tax to CA
In my case, a new Bleed Screw (I used a Brass Plug and Teflon Tape) - $3
Haven't installed them yet, but could use a couple band aids for my hands - Already Own

Total Cost - $72