Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket anyway to get an idea if that is all?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Did they maybe forget to reconnect the ac compressor? That would do it! I can't remember if you have to open the ac system. I think I just pushed mine out of the way.

I would think the temp would fluctuate somewhat. Does it stay steady all the time, or do you just mean it hovers right around 209?

Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

When purging air the cabin heater is on high, engine at operating temp, and then releasing bleed valve?

Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Did they maybe forget to reconnect the ac compressor? That would do it! I can't remember if you have to open the ac system. I think I just pushed mine out of the way.

I would think the temp would fluctuate somewhat. Does it stay steady all the time, or do you just mean it hovers right around 209?
It is pretty darn steady at that but will pop up to 211 then back down. It did pop up to 215 one time. I guess what really through me is that it makes no difference whether on highway or in town.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by chubbs878
When purging air the cabin heater is on high, engine at operating temp, and then releasing bleed valve?
Yes I did both ways. Waited until morning and did the rave way. The after that pulled front end up on my ramps and turned heater on. Let it get up to temp then did the bleed valve. I am guessing It still has soem air in it though.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

On a side note that I have no idea if it could be tied in is that my air conditioner does not blow cold air now.
Does AC clutch engage?

Let it get up to temp then did the bleed valve.
Opening system at ops temp usually lets air into system rather than bleed it out.

Last edited by number9; 07-08-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by number9
Does AC clutch engage?

Opening system at ops temp usually lets air into system rather than bleed it out.
Interesting. Honestly I have had a small leak of soem kind for so long I just had my routine that seemed to work. I woudl start with the rave manual way then woudl follow up with raising front end and using the bleed screw to "let air out". I guess I never knew if it worked or not. It seemed to.

So at the risk of seeming like a total idiot, how can I confirm the AC clutch kicks in?

Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just turn your ac on and look under the hood. If the front of the ac compressor pulley isn't moving, your ac clutch is not engaging.
There is a chance that they forgot to reconnect the compressor. Sometimes on big jobs, like head gaskets, little things like that can be overlooked.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Just turn your ac on and look under the hood. If the front of the ac compressor pulley isn't moving, your ac clutch is not engaging.
There is a chance that they forgot to reconnect the compressor. Sometimes on big jobs, like head gaskets, little things like that can be overlooked.

It doesn't look like it is moving. Bummer.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You could try checking the fuses and the relay, but maybe the garage opened the system during the head gasket job. If so, it won't turn the compressor on without pressure in the system. I would think they would have planned on recharging it if they took it apart. Maybe they forgot? I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask them about it.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

They thought maybe they had forgotten to recharge it.
Air conditioning (A/C) dual cut-off switch
The A/C dual cut-off switch is a high/low pressure switch fitted into the A/C system. When
the switch is operated, the ECM signals the ATC ECU to request the air conditioning
compressor clutch relay to be de-energised.
Excellent point.

If familiar with using jumper, jumping high/low connector and/or clutch relay should narrow down what the cause is or take back to shop and have them check. Recharge on the shop bill?

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket anyway to get an idea if that is all?