Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket anyway to get an idea if that is all?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

You might want to check and see if someone pushed the ECON. button on the heat control. It kills power to the compressor as well.

Originally Posted by number9
Excellent point.

If familiar with using jumper, jumping high/low connector and/or clutch relay should narrow down what the cause is or take back to shop and have them check. Recharge on the shop bill?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
You could try checking the fuses and the relay, but maybe the garage opened the system during the head gasket job. If so, it won't turn the compressor on without pressure in the system. I would think they would have planned on recharging it if they took it apart. Maybe they forgot? I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask them about it.

I just decided to let them diagnosis it. Back at the shop now. I had to take it back anyway to get the correct 180 tstat back in it. Unfortunately they got the wrong tstat in again. This time they cought it before they installed. So we are just looking at the ac today. Will have to come back tomorrow for the tstat.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
You might want to check and see if someone pushed the ECON. button on the heat control. It kills power to the compressor as well.
Man would that not be the kicker. I am not sure I checked. I would like to think I did. Surely I did??? Oh well. Already at shop now.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Mudding

So they charged it up and now I have air conditioning. They said after charging at first it still did not kick on then after a few tries it did. I did in fact have ac on the long drive home. If I could just get the proper tstat in place I woudl be golden. I hope.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

It sounds like your truck is getting there! Hopefully after all this it will give you a break for a while.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:01 AM
Mudding

It sounds like your truck is getting there! Hopefully after all this it will give you a break for a while.
It is torture living in Ouray Co and not being able to hit trails. OK maybe not torture but lame non the less.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I would love to go out on the trails in CO! I think it IS torture to live there and not be able to. LOL

Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Mudding

I would love to go out on the trails in CO! I think it IS torture to live there and not be able to. LOL

Worst part is that we had friends in last week. I had to rent a jeep to take them out. Was humiliating. And expensive.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by vishrb
Worst part is that we had friends in last week. I had to rent a jeep to take them out. Was humiliating. And expensive.
That sucks! At least you got to go out and have some fun. I could probably do that if I quit a job or two... but then I wouldn't be able to afford the Rover! lol

Old 07-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Mudding

That sucks! At least you got to go out and have some fun. I could probably do that if I quit a job or two... but then I wouldn't be able to afford the Rover! lol
That is why we moved here to Ouray. So on the weekends we could go off roading without it costing us a arm and a leg. Just get up and decide which one to hit.

On another note got Montain Goat back again yesterday. Had them switch out the 190 tstat they put in and get rid of the coolant they put in. She was running cooler then before but hotter then I would like. 198-200 degrees in town and highway. Before the head gasket job I got 188-192 on highway and 192-199 ish in town. When I had the air out and coolant topped off of course. I am going to bleed the air out a few days and see what that does. I did it last night and brought it down another few degrees. Oh and the air conditioning is out again. I think the AC clutch must be going out. I will just go without AC for a week or two so that I can get some driving in.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket anyway to get an idea if that is all?