Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket - sounds like exhaust leak - Block damage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but a cracked exhaust manifold or a blown exhaust manifold gasket (if present) will also cause 'tooting'.
Merely laughing at Dusty's comment as I have an issue on my DII that I'm trying to analyze and it obviously isn't a 'running toot' sound. Therefore I don't think my issue is exhaust related. What did you think I was implying?

Pete

Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I got you confused with the original poster. So I thought you had the tooting but for some reason concluded it wasn't exhaust related.

I'd been drinking.

I agree "the jogging toots" is a pretty funny description. Also not a terrible band name. Ok, maybe it is a terrible band name.

What is your noise?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

hold a rag over the exhaust tip, if it is an exhaust leak you will hear the back pressure coming out.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
hold a rag over the exhaust tip, if it is an exhaust leak you will hear the back pressure coming out.

Ok, so maybe I spoke too soon. My rig doesn't sound like the video but my SES light came on over the weekend. Read codes and got the infamous P0455. Noticed that there was a crack in the gas cap seal, changed it out and still have the SES light. Does it go out or do I have to reset the codes?

I'll put a rag over the exhaust tonight and see if I can determine if it's leaking anywhere along the line.

My noise was more of an 'airy' noise - hard to explain - like she doesn't have the guts she used to. Not transmission sounding but more of a roar. I know that sound strange... but then again, I'm not normal.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:45 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
Sooner you fix it - less damage will happen.
worst case is head needs decked and the block may need decked.
Decking a block is expensive.
So, just replace the head gasket now and see how it turns out.
I was told by a Rover shop that if on exhaust side of engine the "puff puff" leak due to head gasket leak will not cause damage. It might get louder and needs to be changed but no fear of damage should exist. Its more of an annoyance. If it was on coolant side of engine that would be different.

I was told I could get another 2000 miles easy. Head gasket job with a few xtras like new valve stems and cleaning etc while the engine is broken down will run around $1500.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the temperature of the exhaust gases escaping will eventually damage the head or block. the heat and pressure can eventually cut a groove in the aluminum.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,447 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
the temperature of the exhaust gases escaping will eventually damage the head or block. the heat and pressure can eventually cut a groove in the aluminum.
Agreed, it is more dangerous than you think to long term damage. The escaping air will also continue to damage the head gasket, and could eventually cause a coolant leak. Better to get to it now than wait. Headgaskets only should be all that is required. I did my daughters with 200k on it and she is still running strong.