Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown HG, trying K-Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Many Dealers won’t take a D2 In trade
specificaly because of the sheisty behavior of folks that try to cover up problems and dump the truck.

Its hard to have sympathy for someone who buys a 14 year old D2 as a daily driver without researching the associated maintenance costs given how well documented these types of issues are. My recommendation is to pass on the heater core clogging gasket sealant products and address the headgasket. It’s a 2500dollar job at a reputable indie. HG issues aren’t unique to Rovers, Subarus and Yotas also are susceptible to HG’s once the motors get up there in miles.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I seriously doubt this guy wants to unload on a dealer. More like Craigslist to some kid with no sense. I look at these all the time and it is usually some ****bag trying to do just that. I have zero sympathy for you pal.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have some sympathy (not too much though) for the gonk who has bought a 'bag of nails' for a truck but usually someone has disguised their problem truck and sold to an unsuspecting punter with no LR or mechanical knowledge. Sadly, this scenario is far too common these days.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:15 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Its so common that there should be a sticky.

The "I can't help myself I want to buy a Disco, What should I look for" Sticky

And the "My new to me Disco just broke" thread.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

This is bad karma/juju

Old 10-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Its so common that there should be a sticky.

The "I can't help myself I want to buy a Disco, What should I look for" Sticky

And the "My new to me Disco just broke" thread.
Hi, there is a plethora of useful almost essential info on buying a D2 on this site and possible even a 'sticky'.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM
TReK

If all those people who make the new threads every week used the search feature then they would not be making the posts every week about what to look for in a used Disco, or what to do when their new pride and job that they've lusted after for years and just paid $8k for just took a giant crap in their driveway.

That is why I suggest a specific sticky.

What to look for when shopping for a disco,

And what to do when you just bought a disco and didn't know what to look for.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Seller be honest and buyer beware. It's worked for years. In any case, what's the trade in value on a high mile stock discovery, not much.

On the comment about search the forums, I don't get some people's beef on that. Are there really new problems? Just shut the forum down and make it an archive. It's a community. A place to share a passion, a resource to get others opinion, or maybe just a place to vent. I assume the poster here is venting, frustrated with the problems and looking for some sympathetic listeners. Why blast him, don't get it. Instead give support, ideas for fixing, estimated costs and other practical ideas.

Each their own I guess. I feel for you man. Similar to the The Deputy, I too got way more than I bargained for. Bought a recently fully rebuilt engine and after uncovering numerous engine problems from running hot, poor oil pressure, major oil consumption...I'm rebuilding a rebuilt engine. Positive is many measurements are within tolerence spec so saving me money and I'll know what I have when I'm done.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
If all those people who make the new threads every week used the search feature then they would not be making the posts every week about what to look for in a used Disco, or what to do when their new pride and job that they've lusted after for years and just paid $8k for just took a giant crap in their driveway.

That is why I suggest a specific sticky.
A sticky isn't going to help those who don't take the time to search. Folks need to either look for stickies or happen upon them during a search and most don't invest the time to look or have the skills necessary to search.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:50 AM
TReK

^^

Which is why they are in this position in the first place!

I did find there is a sticky on this topic at the bottom of the "Write Ups, How To's, and Must Reads" Sticky... So ORFrance is correct.

Quick Reply: Blown HG, trying K-Seal