Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown HG, trying K-Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

After being on the receiving end of one of these deals, my best results were using the "google" search engine. Gave me many more "hits" than anything here. Yes, most "hits" were links leading to this forum or Discoweb.org...but it got me what I was looking for.

The search function here can be frustrating, to say the least.

Anyhow, that's my suggestion...use google! Better yet...use google...before you buy a Discovery...lol.

And yep...buyer beware...for sure. I thought the couple we bought our 03 from were "just the nices couple"...her a school teacher, him a engineer and both so polite and all...but boy was I wrong.

Brian.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Sadly, "There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See", some think colour is all they need.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, after reading up as much as i could on sealants, I am convinced that none of them work and I will stay away from that option. Unfortuneatly I was on the wrong end of this deal and the buyer led me to believe that there were no issues and specific Rover issues had been addressed. Shortly after purchasing I found that to be false as I started uncovering more and more things that made me skeptical. The biggest was the fact rhe the Cbeck Engine light had been covered up or disengaged somehow.

I wish I was in a fincial position to fix it, but even if I do, I know I will still be met with a plethora of issues shortly after that and we just cant afford to do that. So, it will go on craigslist with full disclosure of the issues currently at hand and someone with better mechanical skills than me can make it their project. It was fun being in the LR club for a short time. Lol.

Last edited by SensiRider; 10-09-2017 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
T-rex (12-17-2022)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by SensiRider
Well, after reading up as much as i could on sealants, I am convinced that none of them work and I will stay away from that option. Unfortuneatly I was on the wrong end of this deal and the buyer led me to believe that there were no issues and specific Rover issues had been addressed. Shortly after purchasing I found that to be false as I started uncovering more and more things that made me skeptical. The biggest was the fact rhe the Cbeck Engine light had been covered up or disengaged somehow.

I wish I was in a fincial position to fix it, but even if I do, I know I will still be met with a plethora of issues shortly after that and we just cant afford to do that. So, it will go on craigslist with full disclosure of the issues currently at hand and someone with better mechanical skills than me can make it their project. It was fun being in the LR club for a short time. Lol.
That's very sad SensiRider, hope you get another D2 sometime. It's ideal to take along someone who knows the pitfalls of the D2's inside out and preferably with a good code reader in their pocket, it saves a lot of anguish later. Au revoir, for now.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:07 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SensiRider
So about a week ago our Rover started spitting up coolant and the temp gauge shot to the top with warning indicator illuminated. Pulled over and turned the car off. Left it there for a day, then refilled the system and I was able to get it home. Upon ignition the next day I got a ton of nice white smoke from the exhaust, so I am assuming HG are done and I am getting coolant in the heads. No coolant in oil.

After purchasing this vehicle in March, we have had nothing but issues and it has left my wife and kids stranded on more than one occasion, so I am going to try K-Seal to temporarily repair the leak, and use it as a trade and let a dealer deal with it.

So right now there is not a lot of coolant in the system, and it has not been driven in about 2 weeks. I assume I need to refill the system prior to adding the K-Seal? I am going to use the Pour N Go option, as it is readily available and a little cheaper.

Do I need to fill and bleed the system and then add K-Seal or can I add the K-seal when refilling while it gets to operating temp? Does anyone have any experience with this product? Of the options (Blue Devil, Barrs and K-Seal) it seems to be the most recommended and better of the options.

Sad to see our Rover go, but maybe one day we will be in a better position to own one.
I'm The owner of a 2016 Discovery sport and it has 130,000 mi on it. I'm just sad to see the attitude of "letting the dealer deal with it" this is why buying a used vehicle is so risky because of people not being honest about a car's condition. I'm wanting to trade for a range Rover sport but I have to do so within a budget so I'm looking at used options and if I were the one to pick your Land Rover as my trade ..your family may not have to worry about it anymore but It would be me and my son on the side of the road stranded instead because I would be unaware there was a problem. I guess for the sake of The future owner of your vehicle I hope the k seal permanently handles the leak or at the very least let the dealer know the issue and Hope He's honest about it. Just think about how less stressful the car buying process would be if everyone would just be honest....

Old 12-14-2022, 05:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leah_d
I'm The owner of a 2016 Discovery sport and it has 130,000 mi on it. I'm just sad to see the attitude of "letting the dealer deal with it" this is why buying a used vehicle is so risky because of people not being honest about a car's condition. I'm wanting to trade for a range Rover sport but I have to do so within a budget so I'm looking at used options and if I were the one to pick your Land Rover as my trade ..your family may not have to worry about it anymore but It would be me and my son on the side of the road stranded instead because I would be unaware there was a problem. I guess for the sake of The future owner of your vehicle I hope the k seal permanently handles the leak or at the very least let the dealer know the issue and Hope He's honest about it. Just think about how less stressful the car buying process would be if everyone would just be honest....
Well, if you would have continued this thread, from 5 years ago, you would have found out that I did not trade it in, but sold it to an enthusiast that got a hell of a deal.
I said let a dealer deal with it, because they would most likely get it proper again and re-sell it. Assuming they were an honest dealer.
Anyway, have fun with your ticking time bomb

Old 12-14-2022, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Leah_d
Did you make an account just to necro this 5 year dead thread?

ace10 (12-14-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 05:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 402 Likes on 279 Posts

Necro thread: Land Rovers are not 'on a budget' vehicles....wish some readers of this site could learn that.....

Old 12-15-2022, 10:44 AM
TReK
Received 491 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by XRAD
Land Rovers are not 'on a budget' vehicles.
Although in my case I got into “modern” LR’s (compared to my 1963 S2A) partly because I bought them for way less money than anything comparable. They both needed work (which I enjoy) and the price reflected that. I’ve had the P38 for over 5 years and the D2 over 2 and as far as money in over the use I’ve gotten from them they’ve been economical. If you count my time as money they haven’t done as well, especially the P38.

jastutte (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 02:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvlr
Although in my case I got into “modern” LR’s (compared to my 1963 S2A) partly because I bought them for way less money than anything comparable. They both needed work (which I enjoy) and the price reflected that. I’ve had the P38 for over 5 years and the D2 over 2 and as far as money in over the use I’ve gotten from them they’ve been economical. If you count my time as money they haven’t done as well, especially the P38.
same here. i bought all my Rovers on the cheap. even with the maintenance costs and a few unforeseen breakdowns they still have cost me less than any new vehicles i could have purchased.

T-rex (12-17-2022)