Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Devil for Head gasket on my Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Devil for Head gasket on my Discovery

Does anyone know or has used the Blue Devil Head Gasket sealant for a Land Rover before and if it works? I seem to have a head gasket issue but it is not major because I am not getting smoke through exhaust or over heat at idle, only when it is driven. Let me knwo if you have used it before and what results you got. Thanks

Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!! Go into the signature section and update it with your year truck and mileage No do not put that in your truck.......... if your going to use anything use BG stop leak... you will need to find a independent dealer in your area and soon i will put a link here for you. Atlantic British sell a head gasket kit for $199 and will come with everything you need and then you will need to get the heads milled and your set. If you have secondary air then ad a few hours to the job otherwise probably looking at around 14 hours for a first timer rebuild.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 11-14-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BG Findashop - Search for an authorized BG service center near you!

You will also want to look at your front drive shaft if its a factory shaft only having 2 grease fittings 1 on the tube itself and 1 on the single universal joint end connected to the front diff you will need to replace it before it breaks.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Pix of a head gasket that failed toward cylinder and to outside of block. Can leak exhaust into coolant, coolant into cylinders, coolant into oil, etc. Liquid repairs are usually have at best short term results (just long enough for the auction), as many have posted here about the head gasket blowing just days or miles after they bought the truck.

Spark plugs in impacted cylinders will show up usually. But don't do just one side, then the other will go out. Most DIY find the HG can be done over two weekends with machine shop inbetween.

Attached Thumbnails Blue Devil for Head gasket on my Discovery-hg-rear-2.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically the more important the component the less you want to use cures like that. Engine and cooling system are out, you'll more likely cause more harm than good using that sort of stuff. For something like a transfer case and/or axles you can get away with it but its still always advisable to do a full fix if you can.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Either the BG stuff or K-Seal, that Blue Devil stuff is junk.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel that as a general rule this stuff is to be used in case of EMERGENCY, i.e. you are out in the woods and need to get out. I know some have used either the Kseal or the BG for a longer time but what you really need to do is figure out what is wrong and fix it.Yes I carry a container of K seal. but have never used it and hope I never have to.Oh and for the record there is no such thing as a non major head gasket issue. All head gasket issues are major, even if they do not appear to be at this moment if you do not take care of them the RIGHT way it will become major.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And here is one problem that the "big can of stopz leakz" will make worse in a hurry - a partial clogged rad will become a fully clogged rad. The HG leak takes maybe a teaspoon of sealant to stop for a while. The rest of the jug moves through the cooling system, looking to attach to other crevices, like that spongy goo of Dexcool in the lower rows of the rad. The BG and the KSeal use the small quantities of material, some other products are a big container, and the extra has to go somewhere. Think about it, the size of the container vs the size of a pin point leak in a gasket. A small bottle of KSeal is enough for a Mack truck radiator. You don't need a big container of "mechanic in a jar" (not to be confused with a Jar Head Mechanic).

Attached Thumbnails Blue Devil for Head gasket on my Discovery-dex-cool-2.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I know it's not the "right" way to fix it, but there are times when I'd give it a try. If I had reason to think the block was cracked behind the liner, I'd try some blue devil or k-seal before I'd spend $2000 on a new-to-me used engine.

A friend of mine just used this on his 4runner 22-re. It was pressurizing the cooling system and certainly failed the autozone test kit for exhaust gas in the coolant. He ran the blue devil fix, and now it passes the test kit. He knew this isn't the right was to fix it, but he figured that if he was going to spend the money for head gaskets and head work, he would just replace the engine with rebuilt (22-re is pretty cheaply rebuilt with good warranty)... so he had nothing to lose.