Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body fit for larger drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 08:05 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 46 Posts

I did not get to those measurements, ended up work on my sisters ford all day.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:04 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you are onto something. I don't have a problem with the gas pedal placement exactly, but I think the brake pedal is too close to the brake. I think the issue with moving the has pedal to the right is that you'll run into the floor pretty quick. I can't drive in my boots very long because it bugs me always checking that I'm not pushing the brake while pushing the gas.
​​​​​​
nevermind. I just checked and there is totally room. I just grabbed mine and bent it enough to actually get my boot on the gas pedal without hitting the friggin brake.

After some bending

Last edited by Karmakannon; 08-31-2022 at 01:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Karmakannon:
B Strife (08-31-2022), Dunduin (04-14-2023), hasullivan (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:19 PM
Mudding

I hook the brakes with my shoes from time to time. Glad you were able to adjust it and get some safer positioning out of it.

The following users liked this post:
Karmakannon (08-31-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 01:18 PM
Mudding

Alright, I am done working on my sisters escape so I am back to this.
I have moved the accelerator pedal 20mm to the right.( Not much but it lets my leg clear the wheel)
I have also lowered my seat as far as it can go. Not quite as nice as sitting up but it helps.
So far the lowering the seat has given me about 30+ minutes on average, and is I shift my body right it reduces the level of discomfort.

I will be taking a 600+ mile trip soon so I will see how far this combination gets me.
So far with this combination, the rotation on my leg has been reduced (almost gone) and my leg mostly clears the stearing wheel.

If this does not get me to 5 or so hours next step will be to bite the bullet and mod the seat to move back farther.

The following 2 users liked this post by hasullivan:
Brandon318 (10-11-2022), Dunduin (04-14-2023)
Old 10-10-2022, 02:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

I have to ask, how tall are you? I’m not the smallest person on the planet at 6’7” and 230-240 or so (or 220 as it is still mountain biking season) and I am quite comfy in the Disco. Now, it takes a small bit of origami to get in, but I guess I got used used to it in pretty much any car (you should see me get in my S4), but once I’m in, it’s about like a glove. A nice benefit is I can’t see the Check Engine light very well.

Anyway, I’ve attached the write up on the seat rail modification I found some time back, but have never done.

One thing I will note with my latest D2 that I think can matter: what condition is your seat cushion in? My first D2s had really good ones and it made the seating position wonderful. However, my latest one is a bit tired and I find it a bit uncomfy over time, so that’s something to think about as well.

Additionally, you do know the driver’s seat has lumbar adjustment, yes? Just push the recline switch up and you’ll hear a motor- this was a huge help for me as well.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Dunduin (04-14-2023)
Old 10-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Mudding

Hey longtalldsally,

Shorter than you, I am 6'5", and about the same weight, minus the seasonal assist(played stupid game, won stupid prize).
The seats are in excellent condition. I have adjusted the lumbar.
So you know how your right leg has to bow around the steering wheel and gets rotated? I have old injuries that make that increasingly uncomfortable the longer I do it. Ideally my legs would be under the stearing wheel and have less bend at the knee (maybe even 10 degrees).
This also happens on my wifes matrix, but not my old old elantra (near laying down in those). I am mostly using this as as dummy check on my thoughts of modifying the pedal position combined with reference for future people who are both tall and have leg discomfort.
I was originally going to mod the seat rail first, but decided to try other things first. I feel bad having to stuff passangers behind me with how far back I normally have car seats.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Nope, you’re spot on. And I know the drill on playing a stupid game: snapped patellar tendon in one, and no meniscus in the other one (plus a bunch of other surgeries). My legs are way bent and the right one the way it rests, it can actually slip out if I’m not paying attention. Zee Jermahn cahz are the only ones where this is a non issue for me as all of our other cars I have the same issues (Jeep, wife’s L320, and the G Wagen).

So you most certainly are not strange in the struggle. And I have minimal sympathy for any passengers as I’m the shortest in my family and spent my whole life dealing with the world at large being made by and large for troll sized munchkins.

All that said, the seat rail deal is really the only way you are going to get your legs more straight. If it’s just a couple inches longer, it shouldn’t bug the passengers too much.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:41 PM
Mudding

Alright so I am back from the trip to Mt Shasta.

The tweek helped (did not eliminate) the discomfort. I was able to drive back in a day without needing to stop ever half hour.
Although, I did use cruise control when I needed to stretch out.

The big win was I was able to rest my foot up against the floorboard hump (not sure if thats the correct name). This got rid of those bump revs on the rocky sections. Very happy with the improved throttle control.