Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

borrowed time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007 | 11:38 AM
|
Drifting
Default borrowed time?

So my truck is running smooth, and I took it up to Tahoe from San Francisco Bay area where the car normally stays.

Trip up was uneventful, and she charged up the mountain just fine. But I noticed the next day that the car makes chirping noise when in gear and under load. The noise increases with the load, and is quiet otherwise.

Searching the forums, it looks like the u-joint is shot? I've seen references to CV joint, although I thought those were supposed to make clicking noise when turning?

Anyways, my real question is this: since this just started, how much can I drive before the thing breaks and do a major damage? If possible, I want to bring it home to the bay area, but that's a 200 mile trek (although mostly downhill). If not, I'll have to find a good mechanic up there, which may be challenging (Anyone know of one in Incline Village???)

Thanks

Old 09-14-2007 | 12:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Default RE: borrowed time?

The CV joint in questions is the double U-joint assembly at the rear of your front driveshaft. If it doesn't have grease fittings, don't drive it until you get them relaced. A U-joint can fail and slap the transmission out of your truck.

Don't drive it, no matter how downhill it is. Anyone that can work on driveshafts can work on it. Just 2 Ujoints and a centering kit.

Old 09-14-2007 | 08:41 PM
Administrator

I would suggest you remove the front drive shaft, engage the CDL so you can drive on the rear shaft and have a mechanic rebuild the constant velocity joint using u-joints with grease fitting.
As to damage that be caused if it fails, as a service manager we would write up repair tickets with starting estimates of around $7500.00, so to answer your question, don't drive it till you remove that drive shaft, it is a huge expense waiting to happen.

Old 09-15-2007 | 12:26 AM
|
Drifting

Thanks for your replies.

Well, I guess that's what I was afraid of. Someone posted this link for the u-joint replacement earlier:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...amp;a=FR46-344

Is this what I need for 2000 DII? I'd rather bring the part to the mechanic, since parts may be hard to obtain up in the mountains--and I only go up about once a month this time of the year.

And I only need one, correct?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2007 | 01:01 PM
Camel Trophy

There are 3 U joints on the front drive shaft. I havea D1, so I don't have the same shaft. Not sure on the part #'s. I think you will need a centering kit as well..

Old 09-15-2007 | 05:20 PM
Administrator

As I mentioned before remove the drive shaft, engage your CDL and drive the truck back out of the mountains.
If you don't know how to engage the CDL, e-mail me at mikeljacobs@comcast.net and I'll send you a picture and direction on how to do it.

Old 09-22-2007 | 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Hello this is my first post. I bought a 2000 disc II and everything was good no leaks and all electrical items worked.(If you can believe that!) I did have vibration from the front end And the 3 amigo lights. I found an outstanding landrover shop in Dallas.They check the brakes, the pads were good and reset the codes clearing the lights and showed me where the vibration was coming from. The front drive shaft bearings are greaseless and 7 years of being near the road under stress in the weather wore it down. I was adviced do not drive it until replaced . He then said it was common with land rovers. I counted 6 drive shfts on the floor of his shop. I found a website and ordered one a nd replaced it my self. Striking that transmission with a broken shaft is a big no no. I couldnot get the bearings out of the universal joint so replaced whole shaft.http://www.inlandrovers.com/ That site and a couple others are a good source for parts. good luck.