Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bottorf-fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default It's almost impossible..

The reason it's about impossible is that it is a bad business model unless you are doing it on a small scale. I have talked for hours with my friend who owns a large metal fabrication business. You cant make bumpers for the price they are selling them for and actually pay workers to make them. You will loose money. How many hours do you think it takes to make one and not on a large scale like Terrafirma... These guys are the only two employees and they are working out of a home...No rent, workmans comp, health insurance, ....no $80.00 hour charge for fab work....So... Whats your time worth? I am still trying to figure out a bumper solution myself. The easiest way is to sell a kit of pre bent and cut pieces and have to tack and weld it up yourself.. Not a major deal... As my fab guy said.. " a monkey can weld"........

Chris

Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
" a monkey can weld"........
I have to agree, as I can weld. With a little practice, I can get the "electric glue gun" to hold anything I need together. The problem is that it takes me forever and the welds look like ****, requiring much grinding to dress up.

A good welder makes things look easy, and it is absolutely a artisan level skill to be truly good at.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a bumper similar to their "Little Guy" for a Discovery 2? I've been planning on replacing my bumper this summer since I broke some of the plastic on a stump. Obviously these guys are out, even if this seemed perfect.

I'm looking for something steel, with better clearance, yet a little lighter than the ARB. I have no plans on picking up a winch, so I'd prefer not to have the mountings there in the way. It would be nice to have some recovery points though.

Atlantic British has one, with winch mountings that is my second choice right now:
All Steel Winch Bumper - Black - Exterior Accessories for Land Rovers & Range Rovers

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawbox
Does anyone know of a bumper similar to their "Little Guy" for a Discovery 2? I've been planning on replacing my bumper this summer since I broke some of the plastic on a stump. Obviously these guys are out, even if this seemed perfect.

I'm looking for something steel, with better clearance, yet a little lighter than the ARB. I have no plans on picking up a winch, so I'd prefer not to have the mountings there in the way. It would be nice to have some recovery points though.

Atlantic British has one, with winch mountings that is my second choice right now:
All Steel Winch Bumper - Black - Exterior Accessories for Land Rovers & Range Rovers

check out britpart.com AB will import it for you. or check out the Terrafirma bumpers from Lucky 8

Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I guess I was lucky as I ordered a set of rock sliders from them in the summer of 2009 and they arrived about a month after I paid for them. The quality was good, nice welds and decent textured paint. Just starting to show a few spots of rust.

I had a lot longer wait from High Country. Rear bumper took forever and they made ever excuse except that they were having to pour molten steel to make the materials. Decent bumper but the welds aren't as good as others and the paint is starting to rust which makes me think their prep work suffers.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
5th Gear

the britpart bumpers look awfull, the terrafirma ones are nice though. i have nate's bumper and sliders on my D2 and they are great stuff. i am ordering a rear bumper this week to complete the set and when he has it built (dont really care if it takes a few months) going down to go out offroading with him. he makes good stuff and its built to order, as such dont expect quick delivery times.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rovertym has a slim bumper, and also check out hlcfab.com they have some good looking stuff.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 AM
4wd High

I ordered rock sliders on April 11. I communicated often and got replies from Nate and John. My sliders are being sent fed ex for arrival tomorrow. They are standard, so nothing was special. I stayed civil as did they. I think they are a small swamped business, and as such, if you are in a hurry then you may have a problem. I will report quality when I get them tomorrow.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 AM
4wd High

:: Tactical Armor Group :: Store I am thinking of this company.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Drifting
Default Hard Labor Creek Fab

I would be happy to talk to you guys about your need for bumpers, sliders or steering components.

Denny

Quick Reply: bottorf-fabrication