Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought another one

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought another one

Guys,
I have admired Land Rover since I was old enough to recognize them on the road. Been through a few Jeeps, had a 4Runner and currently have a Range Rover Sport as the wife's daily driver. I have made friends with our local service manager as he is a car guy too. I currently am daily driving my new to me 2012 Cayman. I mentioned to him I have been looking for a 4x4 for winter and to drive to work a few weeks ago when Saturday I got the call.

A couple had been passing through our area and their 2000 Disco would not start, they had it towed to the dealer and were given the bad news that the motor was done for. Camshaft froze in the block and it self destructed. They rented a car and drove home, having nothing else to do with the Discovery. I was offered the car for less than what a nice set of tires cost and decided to have a look at it. The paint is in fair condition, no major blemishes just needs a good detail job. Interior is almost flawless, leather is perfect and carpet is good. The headliner is sagging, will have to be addressed later. Tires are decent and no transfer case, transmission, or axle leaks.

Now we are debating on where to go from here, we have a very decent 2000 Discovery with no motor. I was first thinking of doing a new long block but the voice of reason is saying go with a low mileage used engine and use the extra money on off road bumpers and a winch. If I go with a used engine I would have the head gaskets done before install as I know that is a common problem.
Any expert advise? Car has just over 100k miles, sorry no pics as it is still sitting at the dealers.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I know you are friends with the dealership employee but you should take the existing block apart yourself and/or get a second opinion on the actual condition of the block.

You could get lucky... It may in fact be reusable.

Many folks on here have been told by dealers that they need a new engine when that is not always the case. Myself included.

See what you really have before deciding where to go.

Unless of course you have enough money to not care, then by all means go new long block.

Last edited by Dave03S; 07-22-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
I fully understand what you are saying. The cam has broken, we assume it was run low on oil and that is why it froze. After discussing options today with the wife it looks like a new long block is going to be the route we take for maximum reliability. I am looking forward to wrenching on the Disco, just not removing a used engine in 10k miles b/c something else lets go when I can start with a known engine.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Option #2 if time and space allows, but a ebay motor, tear it down and rebuild it. New cams. Fresh gaskets. New oil pump. Upgrade the cooling system. Yada yada yada. Will allow you to really know the in'some and out''s of the engine

Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,019 Posts

You did not mention if it was going to be DIY job or you were going to pay for the R&R. If it is DIY, I would get a used motor and put new bearings, rings, cam, lifters, oil pump and head gasket in it and replace the factory valve cover baffle with a real PCV valve.

If it is paid R&R - get a guaranteed motor from somewhere that will guarantee labor as well.