Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake ?

I have an 02 Disco with 47K on the odometer. I bought the truck at 45K. When I had it inspected the front pads were 11mm on the front and 10mm on the rear. The front Rotors were 24mm and the rears were12mm. They told me there was a lot of life left. Anyone know approximatley how much more I can expect out of them?

I have the service records and if they were replaced, they were not replaced at the dealer. I've been reading up on it and it seems as if the dealer is the place to have it done because of the ABS modulator and the sensors. At least per an article in Rovers Norht. Is that the best course?

Thanks,

John

Old 01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Brake ?

First of all, don't have the dealer replace your brakes unless you have money to burn.
As for the thickness, if the pads are thinner then the backing plates, it is time to replace them. The rotors may, by the books, need to be replaced but if there is no brake shutter, leave them alone till the next brake job.
If you are at all mechanical, you can replace the pads and bleed the brakes in an hour and a half.
Go to Atlantic British.com and order what you need.
If you want to do it your self we can talk and I'll be glad to walk you thru it, save you an easy $500
Mike

Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake ?

Mike,

As usual thanks for the great info. Just been reading to much I guess. The articles I've read say it's hard to get all of the air out of the system with th modulator and you need to be hooked up to the Rover Diagnostic System to do it properly.

I've seen a lot of great brake kits offered from various sites. What's your take on the drilled and slotted or dimpled and slotted rotors? Are they better than stock? Should I use stock pads or is there a better performance choice?