Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake caliper question and a word of thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake caliper question and a word of thanks.

I wanted to pass on a word of thanks to all of the contributors here. I’ve never really had to post before because to this point I’ve yet to not find an answer to that hasn’t already been covered. The wealth of information available searching the archives is quite extensive. Disco Mike; your responses have probably answered every single question I’ve ever had. Everyone who contributes, thank you very much. Remember, there are probably a lot of people like me in the background who very much appreciate the time you take to help out.

Anyway, yesterday I replaced the brakes/rotors on my 99 Disco II. On the advice of many, I called Atlantic British and ordered the Ferodo kit. It might have been the easiest mail order purchase ever; the order took 3 minutes and I had everything the next day. Great advice indeed.

I did find a problem during install that leads me to the question. The problem that led to the brake replacement was actually cause by a caliper slide pin that had seized. The inner pad wore down to the metal and the pistons were extended pretty far. I took care of that and it’s fine, but did find the dust boot on one of the caliper pistons was damaged. The piston is clean and undamaged. I assume this is very recent and related to the other problem. There is a kit available to replace the boot and I wanted to know if anyone has ever done this. Basically, is the dust boot easily replaced? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Brake caliper question and a word of thanks.

I speak for everyone here, and we are extremely happy that you have found your answers to any question here!...Disco Mike is probably the greatest contributor and a great person with an extreme weath of knowledge.

I'm sorry that I don't have any answers to your dust boot question... I'm a newbie as well, but be patient... your question will hopefully be answered soon!

Happy Rovering!

John-Robert

Old 03-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I've replace many dust boots over the years, but never on a Disco.

My advice is to learn how to install it while taking off the old one. Since it's okay to destroy the old one removing it you can see how to install the new one...and make sure you get all the parts of the old one - often there will be a metal ring that wants to stay behind.

Lubricate with brake fluid and be sure not to use any tools that will damage the new boot.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree with the last post, and don't forget to do a full brake bleed.
Mike