Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid leak issue and parts needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid leak issue and parts needed

Hey guys, just bought this 02 Discovery and it appears the the brake fluid leaks out completely in about 2 days of driving. It has been raining here a lot so I have not found the leak yet
When it gets low enough the "ABS" "TC" and vehicle declining with "!" mark come on.
Even when the fluid is full, the pedal feels kinda spongy the first time or two you step on it.

Any common failures/leaks that I should check/replace first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I'm looking for a front bumper cover and grille for my car now lol.
My fog lights are good, so I don't need those but my headlight washers are missing so if you have them too that would be nice.

There are many other upgrades I'd like, but I'll get into all that when I get everything else figured out.

Thanks all,
You can also call/text 678)508-5992
Cheers

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to try and find out where the leak is coming from. I would start by checking the bleed screw on each caliper to make sure they are tight.

If they are good then check the ABS module under the hood for a leak from the bottom.

You could also have a blown o-ring in one of your calipers. I've been getting ready to rebuild my calipers and I'm going to use these kits to do it.
Front- Caliper Service Kit - Front (Part # STC1919) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British
Rear- Caliper Service Kit - Rear (Part # STC1909) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

You will need to bleed all of the air out of the system after you fill it back up and find the leak. Be sure to bleed the brakes in order. Here are the instructions.
How to bleed brakes.pdf

Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Jared9220
You need to try and find out where the leak is coming from. I would start by checking the bleed screw on each caliper to make sure they are tight.

If they are good then check the ABS module under the hood for a leak from the bottom.

You could also have a blown o-ring in one of your calipers. I've been getting ready to rebuild my calipers and I'm going to use these kits to do it.
Front- Caliper Service Kit - Front (Part # STC1919) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British
Rear- Caliper Service Kit - Rear (Part # STC1909) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

You will need to bleed all of the air out of the system after you fill it back up and find the leak. Be sure to bleed the brakes in order. Here are the instructions.
Attachment 19807
Thanks, That is exactly what I was looking for.
I'll do a caliper rebuild kit for all the brakes regardless as I'm going to have to bleed them all anyways.

I just hope it is not the abs pump.
If it is, is there a reapir for that or would I have to replace it?

I also read a lot of people doing booster replacement.
Whats the reason for this? Another common failure, upgrade or so on...?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For about $60-70 ea. you can save yourself alot of pain and get some remanufactured calipers from an auto parts store.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you find the ABS module to be the problem then fully read these posts: (this is the #1 sticky at the top of all the D2's thread pages)
ABS Mod - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.
ABS SVS Seals - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you jump into all of that, try checking underneath your resevoir where it connects to the master cylinder. I had a horrible brake fluid leak and found that the rubber grommets that the reservoir sit in were dry and cracked and leaking fluid. You can get a rebuild kit from Atlantic British for about $80 which has all new grommets, o-rings, and reservoir. It is really easy to do... took me about 30 minutes. There is a nice write up on here on how to do it.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Three Wheeling

You guys have truly been amazing with your advice.
I'm still trying to find the culprit of the leak without any luck. I even have my lady stepping on the brakes while i am looking at the calipers, reservoir, abs and all.
This one is kicking my *** lol.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by badassbmwm3
You guys have truly been amazing with your advice.
I'm still trying to find the culprit of the leak without any luck. I even have my lady stepping on the brakes while i am looking at the calipers, reservoir, abs and all.
This one is kicking my *** lol.
If you have air already in the system then you may have to bleed the breaks before you find the leak.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

/\ What Jared said. And, if it's at the reservoir, pumping the brakes won't really show you anything. Check the area directly under the reservoir and on the wall at the master cylinder. If it's moist, that's probably where you're leaking from. If not, then you'll have to do like Jared said.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Thats it :)

Originally Posted by mattmo78
Before you jump into all of that, try checking underneath your resevoir where it connects to the master cylinder. I had a horrible brake fluid leak and found that the rubber grommets that the reservoir sit in were dry and cracked and leaking fluid. You can get a rebuild kit from Atlantic British for about $80 which has all new grommets, o-rings, and reservoir. It is really easy to do... took me about 30 minutes. There is a nice write up on here on how to do it.

Well done sir! This was the leak.

while searching for the leak I noticed the rubber boots for the caliper pistons were deteriorating, so I'll address that issue at the same time as I'm going to have to bleed the brakes anyways.
Thanks to all who helped me with this matter.

While I'm doing this should I do plan B on the three amigos as a preventative measure?

Quick Reply: Brake fluid leak issue and parts needed