Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake light on

according to the owners manual, the brake light illuminated on the dash means either the emergency brake is up or you are low on fluid, is there any other reason that it would be on? I checked the fluid and it's up at the max line and I know that the e brake is not up.
I started to change the ABS/speed sensor wire on the passenger front wheel and took off the rotor, caliper swapped the wire on the hub only, I didn't wire it up to the ABS ECU per the updated TSB yet, it was too cold so I just left it. Could that cause the brake light to come on?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling

I believe you would get an ABS light or the amidos on a sensor failure. Check the wire connection at your cap and make sure it is on tight. As you said the only two items listed for just the break light are the fluid level and parking brake. Might also check the switch at the parking break lever.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would lean towards either a bad float switch or a bad e-bake switch, either of which can fail.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Mudding

thanks guys, I'll check both, it just seems that the timing was a little odd and I was concerned that it was something more major. According to the RAVE manual, in addition to the light being on because of low brake fluid and the e brake engaged, it can also come on if there is a brake control system failure affecting EBD. So it might be on just because that wheel sensor is unplugged at the moment.

Last edited by jbarr89; 01-09-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have same issue. What was the final outcome ot the problem?

The brake light on the dash comes on and off. Off when I break and on when I drive or go over a bump. It's like a dickey switch. I just had new rear break pads, and an oil change and an inspection, wouldn't they have noticed low brake fluid? Lastly I personally changed my reverse bumper lights. What could it be?!

I read somewhere too about the battery could cause this issue - crusty connections??

thanks!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Mudding

honestly I can't even remember, that was a year ago. I replaced the wheel sensor and haven't had a problem since and no three amigos either

Old 12-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The RAVE electrical drawings show that lamp can only be lit by e barke switch or fluid level switch, or a stray electrical ground (skinned wire, etc.) Becasue it shifts, the float switch would be suspect. It is normally open, closes to turn on light. Just unplug it for testing. Location photo attached from RAVE.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 brake fluid switch.pdf (428.6 KB, 984 views)
The following users liked this post:
H Hill (11-04-2020)
Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Savannah - thanks. Question from the RAVE image. Is the switch C0026? and when you say unplug 'it', are you referring to C0501? or again C0026?

Can I do this by myself, or should i take to a gas/service station?

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Jbarr - what was the wheel sensor? I forgot to mention, I just got four new tires and my steering rod replaced. My car was just serviced, Strange why this is happening now. This truck is a lemon!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

C0026 is the brake fluid switch on top of the fluid container. You can unplug this.

re: This truck is a lemon!

But lemonade to those whom maintain it while you line their pockets. The more you can DIY, the more you can save for other toys. It starts with the weekly fluid check under the hood, and you move up to more challenging items. The RAVE points the way, and it is what the dealer tech in LA (lower Alabama) uses....

Quick Reply: brake light on