Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Connection Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Brake Light Connection Issues

My rear passenger brake light has not been coming on, so I tried replacing the bulb tonight with a match from Roverparts and still nothing. Brake light switch works (tested it with a voltmeter, because I've had intermittent cruise control loss of function), and the brake light bulb (both original bulb and new one) actually will come on if I insert the bulb 180 degrees the wrong way, to where it will slide into the two grooves but not seat properly. The light comes on, but of course it's loose, and when I seat it the proper way, 180 degrees back around, there's not even a hint of light or flickering.

What gives?

Side note, I had dumped a fair amount of water out of the compartments and turn signal compartments, but the turn signal still works fine. I noticed for the first time there are cracks in the housing. Also, I read somewhere about drilling "weep holes" for water problems. Is this a good idea, and how does that work and look?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Could be the wiring harness for the tail lights, I had that issue. Abran or Paul Grant should have one. If I remember correctly they just clip in and out no issue.

If you poured water out, it could also be that the contacts are corroded. Even a little could make a difference. You could try some sandpaper or a wire battery terminal cleaner or wire brush if you had one that could fit before springing for a new harness to see if that works.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Rock Crawling

A bit delayed, but I finally went ahead and got a new used tail light assembly on eBay and installed it. Figured that would be easiest since I've got these cracks in the light anyway. The brake lights now work great, except the actual tail light itself, that small red light on the side, still doesn't work! I bought a brand new bulb and swapped out the old one and it still won't work. How can this be? What sort of wiring issue could cause it not to work?

Old 02-24-2016, 10:46 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by za105
A bit delayed, but I finally went ahead and got a new used tail light assembly on eBay and installed it. Figured that would be easiest since I've got these cracks in the light anyway. The brake lights now work great, except the actual tail light itself, that small red light on the side, still doesn't work! I bought a brand new bulb and swapped out the old one and it still won't work. How can this be? What sort of wiring issue could cause it not to work?
Sometimes, contact does not touch the ones on the bulb. Just stretch pull the spring connector with a bent paper clip or adjust the contacts on the side. It happens to me all the time, worse if water gets in bulb turns black and dies.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the tip, LR03NJ, but that's not the problem with this one. That actually did help my brake light issue, but the bulb on this side tail light goes straight in and doesn't appear to be having any trouble making contact. Also, this same light was out on my original tail light, leading me to believe it's a wiring issue.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Any ideas?

Old 02-27-2016, 03:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by za105
Any ideas?
Look in owner's manual emerg section, try to figure out what light(s) don't work. Rear side marker light? Tail light good? Try cleaning contacts? Try swapping known good bulb from other side? Same plug pin supplies pwr-3/gnd-2 to both tail & side lights. Do you know how to check continuity & pwr using a meter?

The following users liked this post:
za105 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling

It's the passenger rear tail light. I had bought a used tail light (the whole assembly) but there were small cracks in it and a chunk fell off, and the rear tail light still didn't work, so I returned it. Now I have a brand spanking new tail light assembly in, and the tail light still won't come in, just my driver's side.

I'm green with checking continuity by I've done it a few times. Any suggestions for where to check for continuity? This is really annoying me now and the last thing I want is a ticket, after spending $140 on a whole new assembly. Needed it anyway, old one was so cracked and blowing bulbs with rainwater.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Try the ground in the driver footwell.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Try the ground in the driver footwell.
Which one?

Verified fuse 33 good? Is your fwd RH side light working?

Looks like all the RH rear light use the same point in RH aft for gnd and not likely the issue. May have an open wire from front to connector or going to gnd point. You either need to learn to use a meter or find somebody who can when trying to fix relatively simple electrical issues. Or wait and get your ticket. Pulled diagram and gnd info for you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tail Lights.pdf (253.0 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by number9; 03-17-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Connection Issues