Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lights Out - Left side only

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights Out - Left side only

This forum has been very helpful in the past. I'm hoping someone can provide some insights.

'96 SE7 with about 125000 miles. My left rear brake light is out. Bulbs are good and I am blowing a fuse #2to the left side only. Replacing the fuse results in an immediated blow when the headlight switch is turned on. I have removed the bulbs from the lamp assembly and the fuse still blows. I have removed the lamp assembly from the harness and the fuse still blows. I traced the metal strips in the lamp assembly to the harness to check for voltage at the harness plug and there is no voltage at the plug (kind of obvious because the fuse is blown).

It seems strange to me that the brake lights and the side lights appear to be the same fuse as both are out.

I'm blowing fuse #2 (LH side lights) Side lights on driver's rear side and bumper as well as the brake light do not work. Turn signal, rear fog, and rear running lights do work. All right side lights work.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar failure. Sounds like I have a short somewhere, but the individual wires, plugs, bulbs, etc. look good. I have removed the plugs from the ends of the harness and the bulbs from the plugs. No change.

I have noticed that some of the left rear wires run above the muffler (resonator?). I am wondering if this is a typical point of failure. Any insights or a wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated.

-Darin