Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Master Cylinder 2004 Discovery SE

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

No problem man. We are all here to help each other and offer any advice we can, albeit sometimes we get it wrong but usually somebody will chirp in and help out also. I know some people have tried to do it then using bill decent and bleeding 3-4 times by the rave manual and they say that works but I have always done it by the book, especially on something as critical as brakes. I would reccomend getting a good scanner like a Hawkeye or lynx if you plan on keeping it for a while. If you do, check with the U.K. Vendors. They are astronomically cheaper. My Hawkeye total was only $300 and it covers every Land Rover up to 2015 and the lynx is windows based and only unlocked for 1 vehicle model. Both are made by britpart and are the folks that designed testbook and t4. The Hawkeye is handheld kinda like a snap on for a big shop and the lynx just hooks up to a windows laptop or tablet.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If a mechanic says your master cylinder is bad I will assume he knows what he is doing and recommend you proceed as you are doing. However, be advised that leaking fluid is common in our rovers and usually is the rubber grommets leaking between the master cylinder and the brake fluid reservoir. A master cylinder repair kit will have them included for about $75?, as I recall. Or you can order the grommets only from a company in Australia for about $16 plus expensive shipping and lengthy transit time. Again, this is for leaking brake fluid directly below the reservoir. If you are having brake pedal fade then repair or replace entire master cylinder to be safe.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts
Default What he said...

Most of the time it is the master cylinder reservoir which is leaking. If you're careful when you remove the reservoir and replace the seals you don't have to bleed the system as you just top up the fluid so no air gets into the master cylinder.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Most of the time it is the master cylinder reservoir which is leaking. If you're careful when you remove the reservoir and replace the seals you don't have to bleed the system as you just top up the fluid so no air gets into the master cylinder.
No telling how many people have replaced the MC itself due to the leaky reservoir seals. I found a retailer out of Australia that sells the 2 grommets. Are you aware of a US supplier?

OP: If the MC leaks but the brakes continue to properly function then you need only replace the seals, not the MC itself.